Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have noticed on my new ride which came with a Fox 80mm fork, that the downhill/ steep/ technical sections on my rides and races have become slower and not as comfy. This is my first year on this bike comig off a 5" bike last season. I am thinking of losing the 80 and getting a 100mm fork to combat this issue. All I have ever used is Fox. I do hear good things about the Reba Race. The Reba appears to have more external controls and is cheaper than Fox. Can anyone weigh in on this? Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thumbs up for the Reba

I switched from a 100 Manitou Skareb to a Reba Race mid-season last year and it was like night and day. The Reba might be .2 pounds heavier but the added comfort, control and adjustability has been totally worth it. I have no complaints about the Reba.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The Reba (not WC) is a slightly heavier fork than the Fox 100. However you get control over how the fork performs in all areas of it's stroke.

I prefer the feel of a Reba over the Fox 100's. You can't compare the Reba to a Fox 100R, RL - they're simply inferior in pedalling efficiency. The RLC comes close, however the Terra logic is more akin to Motion Control. Fox use a brass weight, which to me gives the fork a horrible on-off feel. Motion Control in conjunction with the neg air spring will allow you to set up how the pedalling platform feels so you can tune it to however you want.

I pretty much never switch Motion Control off- only for the roughest of descents.

·
MTB nut
81 Posts
I raced a Fox 100 for a couple of years before switching to a Reba. No going back for me anytime soon. Every 9 months my Fox would start spewing oil out of the right leg. I kept sending it back to Fox to rebuild it after every season thinking that they would be the best place to get the work done at and it came back every time shiny and clean and a couple of months later the oil starts seeping out of the right leg again. This did not affect how well the Fox worked, which was awesome but it did make me wonder why it couldn't be fixed. Once you start having doubts about a product it's hard to get over them. The Reba has been stellar. Feels great, no leaks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
....my Fox is the new O7 32 series (came stock on my Anthem) 80mm. I don't believe that it can be converted to 100mm. I just hope that there that switching to 100mm won't be a negative in anyway...except for a little increase in weight.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have a Reba world cup on my Blur XC and like it so much that I want one for my SS now. If anyone has a Reba team that was cut to 8.5 inches , drop me a PM.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
No Go

rocdog said:
....my Fox is the new O7 32 series (came stock on my Anthem) 80mm. I don't believe that it can be converted to 100mm. I just hope that there that switching to 100mm won't be a negative in anyway...except for a little increase in weight.
According to Fox, '07 F-series forks can be converted from 100mm to 80mm, but the stock 80mm forks cannot be converted to 100mm.
Previously, you could adjust between 80mm and 100mm on most of their forks, such is progress...

If you like the fork, it may be worth calling Fox's tech support to see if there's a cheap retrofit option.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have an 06 F100x. I know for my year, you can convert the 100 down to anything you want...just a matter of getting the right spacers. I converted down to 80mm for about 3 months for a different bike and now went back to 100mm since I switched bikes again. The stanchions aren't long enough in the 80mm to extend to 100mm...so the only option might be to sell your F80 and buy and F100.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.