Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, here in the Dominican republic, I need to do maintenance on a fox float rl80. I am pretty mechanically inclined, and would possibly have a go at changing the oil. What oil can I use? I would order the fox float oil, but I don't find it... Would any oil of equivalent weight or some manitou/rockshox oil be OK? Could someone guide me through the maintenance or point me to a site with info about the fox float rl80?

On another note, happy new year and christmas to everyone. I haven't posted here in a while, as I have been more focused on my tri training. However, just seeing my black beast sitting there has made me crazily want to MTB again. I will be participating in the MTB survivor in puerto rico, and would like to get some trail miles in before then...

Thanks

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
moose8500 said:
Hey, here in the Dominican republic, I need to do maintenance on a fox float rl80. I am pretty mechanically inclined, and would possibly have a go at changing the oil. What oil can I use? I would order the fox float oil, but I don't find it... Would any oil of equivalent weight or some manitou/rockshox oil be OK? Could someone guide me through the maintenance or point me to a site with info about the fox float rl80?

On another note, happy new year and christmas to everyone. I haven't posted here in a while, as I have been more focused on my tri training. However, just seeing my black beast sitting there has made me crazily want to MTB again. I will be participating in the MTB survivor in puerto rico, and would like to get some trail miles in before then...

Thanks
Be sure to pick the right viscosity. And pick a full synthetic suspension fluid. Other brands will work fine, but they tend to be pricey. Just use motorcycle suspension fluid. Use Bel-Ray or Golden Spectro. Same stuff, but lots cheaper.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone know the viscocity for fox oil? Is it 7.5wt?

·
otb club member
3,041 Posts
moose8500 said:
Does anyone know the viscocity for fox oil? Is it 7.5wt?
It's "7wt" but that really doesn't mean anything, since you could stack up a bunch of "7wt" fork oils and they would perform differently. First, the Fox is 100% synthetic. DGC (frequent poster) has tried lots of non synthetic blends and could not find one to quite match the performance of the Fox synthetic. If you can get Torco oil, use the RSF Medium, 100% synthetic. If not, try and get a fork oil that's close to this spec:

@ 100°C​
9.57cSt

@ 40°C 31.82 cSt

The following is from the "Automotive and Industrial Lubricants Glossary of Terms." It explains pretty well why just a number like 7wt doesn't mean a whole lot:​

Viscosity is ordinarily expressed in terms of the time required for a standard quantity of the fluid at a certain temperature to flow through a standard orifice. The higher the value, the more viscous the fluid. Since viscosity varies inversely with temperature, its value is meaningless unless accompanied by the temperature at which it is determined. With petroleum oils, viscosity is now commonly reported in centistokes (cSt), measured at either 40°C or 100 °C (ASTM Method D445 - Kinematic Viscosity).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, after seeing your comment, it really just makes me want to buy the real fox float oil. I don't want to put anything in that could screw my nice fork up, and I do have an address in Miami that I could have the oil delivered too. Does anyone know any online retailers that sell fox float oil, or any shops I could call that could ship, or anyone of you that could send me it and I paypal you the money or something???? PM ME anyone!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey, anyone know what crush washers are??? Also, I got the 7.5 wt oil, but what about the "fox float suspension fluid 5cc" What's that??? please help!

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
I have recently purchased a Fox and I´m quite a bit into looking its maintenance needs.
There are two tipes of fluids you need for the thing:
Float fluid: the little amount that goes poured in above the air piston(left leg). to keep good sealing and friction...etc
Forx suspension fluid: the larger amount that goes in the bottom of the left leg.You know, bike upside down, shaft partially removed...

A link to fox web where you can see the diferent fluids:

http://www.myfoxracingshox.com/fox_accessories.htm

Top pictures are Float fluids. The left pillow pack comes already with 5cc.Next to it a larger Float fluid bottle.
Under them a Suspension Fluid.
(pictures are not to scale: the Suspension fluid bottle ( the bottom picture)is much larger than the Fluid bottle, it carries 4 times more fluid. The little pillow pack is very small.It has the right amount just for one use)
Hope it helped !

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks a lot man, I will be buying all those fluids and stuff soon to do my maintenance...

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts