Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on some positive reviews, I thought I'd order the higher volume Fox RP23 air sleeve to give it a try on my RIP9.

I called up Fox, the guy gave me the part number, and it arrived today. [The part number he identified was 806-29-076]. However, the sleeve looks exactly the same size as what's already on the bike.

For any of you that have already installed this part, is that right? Shouldn't the new sleeve have noticeable bigger exterior dimensions? I'll give Fox a call to verify before I try to install it, but I thought I'd check here too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I got one from PUSH and the exterior definately has a different shape than the stock one. Although the inside didn't look that much different, the ride is greatly improved for me.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Did Niner make the switch to the high volume RP23? I'm looking at their original website photos, and comparing them to the HV sleeve Devin shows on his web page. There looks to be a difference. Is your RP23 the same as the one in the Niner photo?

Edit: That may be a pic of a HV sleeve for a standard Float.

Also curious to hear what Steve or Chris have to say. I'm know they were very purposeful specing the RP23 with the RIP9.

I was looking for a coil to install on my RIP9, but of the shocks I was interested in, the piggyback appeared to interfere with the down tube when compressed.

So I got myself a Roco Air, which I believe has a higher air volume and more progressive stroke than the RIP's stock Fox, and I find Roco + RIP to be a wonderful combination. I'm looking forward to reading your comparison.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just got my frame about six weeks ago and it had the stock air sleeve. The outside of the stock air sleeve has the step down in diameter near the bottom of the sleeve. The high volume version has a step down in the middle and at the bottom as pictured above.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Yeah, they definitely sent me another standard one. Any of you guys know the actual part number (from Fox) so I don't have to rely on them correctly looking it up?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The High Volume Sleeve is great for me at 185lbs with gear. I'm running it at 145 psi which is 15psi higher than before and the bike feels more lively which is exactly what I wanted. The rebound is also quicker which I needed and I'm using close to full travel with softer landings than before.

It's easily worth the price and easy to put on.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The inside of the sleeve looks the same. It has to be the same because the air piston's diameter doesn't change.

It's the outer part of the sleeve that is different. If you look closely at the inside of the sleeve, you'll find there are two small holes that allow the extra air volume to come into play.

Best RIP 9 upgrade, by far. IMHO. The bike is almost perfect. Next project is to get rid of the nasty brake jacking that I get on high speed braking. Any ideas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question on installation

So Fox managed to send me the right part on the 2nd try. However, the instructions on their web site imply that you must replace the body seal/quad ring whenever you replace the air sleeve. Since this part *wasn't* included, I'm wondering if it's really necessary. Any insight?

Also, what's a reasonable substitute for their "fox float" oil, since they didn't send that either, but it's called for in the instructions.

I wish I had purchased the kit from Push. For the same price, they include a set of replacement seals/wipers, as well as some of the Fox lube. Just FYI in case you are considering making this purchase.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble - Don't give up hope

When I ordered my sleeve from Fox I got a complete set of seals w/ the oil pack, seperate quad seal just for the replacement sleeve and a seperate shock sticker. It sounds like some just made a mistake and didn't realize what you needed.

Fox has always gone the extra mile for me and my friends. I'd recommend giving them one last chance. Call them back and calmly explain to them what happened and that you should have at least a quad seal with your sleeve. I'll bet my last dollar they'll send you a complete set of seals for free.

If your shock is only a few months old your original quad seal will work just fine. If you don't want to drain the internal oil just clamp the shock upside down (rebound dial down) and then perform the sleeve swap. The oil will collect at the top of the shock..

As a last resort and while your waiting for your FREE set of seals to ship. Most local bike shops carry the seal kits as well. I know my local bike shop sells seal kits with the oil pack for 20 bucks. A little more than what Fox charges but they gotta make their money too. Good luck.

I can't wait to hear your report on how you like the upgrade. It completely transformed my bike. Cheers!

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
happened across this thread, and since is seems somewhat pertinent, thought I'd ask it here, too. I just ordered a high-volume sleeve from Fox. I didn't know the part number, and didn't realize there were 2 different sleeves available, HV1 and HV2, both of which are larger volume than the standard sleeve. Sounded like HV2 was biggest. I went ahead and ordered HV1, didn't ask about the part number:madman:. Is this the one you you ordered, or am I getting the wrong item? Well, I suppose I will see when it comes, but thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The part number I referenced in the original post (806-29-076) was, in fact, correct -- they had just sent me the wrong part in error. I wasn't aware there were two options, so not sure about your question there.

Anyway, it's been a great upgrade -- I enjoy the extra travel at higher compression w/out the need to increase my sag.

Hope it works for you too!
Larry

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Since it was after hours last night, I emailed Fox about the part number. Got an email back this morning stating they changed the order for me. so I guess I had ordered the wrong item. Thankfully, they had not shipped it, yet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
2009 rip9 air sleeve

Is any onre running the the high volume air sleeve on the new rip 9.
If not are you getting full travel with the standard sleeve that comes with the 2009 rip.
Look like the current (new) RP23 has different valving.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Lower the PSI

crank-87 said:
I would also like to hear if anyone has switched to a high volume air sleeve on their 2009 RIP? I just got my 2009 RIP, and the rear seems very harsh even at 25-30% sag.
I had mine set at 30% sag and it felt harsh. I took a gamble and let 5 more psi out and sped up the rebound one click. Made all the difference. The bike rides much better. Sag is only a stating point not an absolute.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.