Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rebuilt my Fox Float 36 Fit RLC 160mm fork and while it was long overdue for a change and the performance was terrible as a result, I've noticed since changing oil in the legs and air chamber it seems to be a lot more plush than before. Too plush even.

I'm thinking thing might be as a result of Fox changing their green fluid recipe. The one I used was from way back, probably eight years. A friend had some extra of this. It is rated at 7 or maybe 7.5wt. But it appears that Fox green fluid is now rated at 10wt. The lower weight is causing my fork to be a bit underdamped, correct? Sorry, I am not too familiar with how this works.

Furthermore, if I am right, are there any really adverse effects my fork could have with this oil installed? Dialing up the rebound and LSC seems to help it, plus just actually using lock out for road climbs is great. I mostly ride very aggressive trail/DH and jump quite a bit, so the plushy-ness is nice. I am also quite light (130lbs).

I plan on swapping out the oil again come the beginning of summer as my new plan is to do oil changes every season because I ride hard and in nasty conditions and the fork got really nasty before without any changes. The process was pretty straightforward and simple regardless.

Thanks for help, recommendations and overall just reading the post.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
You only changed the oil in the lowers and on top of the air piston right? Not the damper?
That should have no effect except as you already noticed that the fork is smoother. It's just bath oil.
Just use more rebound and compression and don't wait so long between services. lol
You can in the future also use Mobil 1 for bath oil also. Cheaper and slicker.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
10wt is heavier than 7wt. So the damping would be increased, if it was in the damper. Since all you changed is the bath oil, all you did is actually make your fork work. Recommended service interval for oil changes is 30 hours. Don't wait so long between services.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.