Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find much here using search. The Fox manual says that one way to run the forks with adjustable lockout is to find a "sweet spot" where the lockout force is overcome for trail obstacles, but not too much, and then just leave the fork in lockout all the time. Has anyone done that? I would think that maybe it would be a little to abrupt compared to running without lockout. Any experience?

David B.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I assume you are referring to a RLC Fork. If so then yes. What they are referring to is the point where your body weight won't won't compress the fork when sprinting or climbing.
Here are my settings (I weigh 195lbs):
90psi
4 clicks of Low Speed Compression
6 clicks of Rebound
8 clicks Lock Out Force
I run it locked out most of the time. Great platform for sprinting & climbing, blows off on big hits. You do loose the small bump butter when locked.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's what I was referring to

Thanks for the info. I of course, now have another question. Are you on a hardtail running this way or a dual sus bike? If dualie, do you leave the rear shock in pro-pedal or some similar setting? I just wonder if having the small "butter bumps" as you put it, ignored by the fork but taken up by some compression of the rear sus, would be strange.

I'm sure the real answer is once I have the bike built up, to go around some easy trails and play with it, including wacky combos, keep good notes, and figure out what works best for me.

David B.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have an Epic with the "Brain" set to the firm three clicks from full firm. The rear is about 95% locked until it encounters an obstacle . The fork & the shock work very well together.
Get it built and on the trail so you can play with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
any of the FOX RLC forks are the most adjustable, most tunable forks on the market (right out of the box). I've ridden a few different model years with that adjustment. The thresh hold adjustment at the bottom of the fork leg one of the keys to how the fork feels regarding compression. From there you can tinker with the slow speed adjustment at the top of the (riders right) fork leg. Very rad fork, you'll dig it once you get used to it.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I apologize for the >3 year bump, but I searched and this really is the best thread out of several that discusses the Fox RLC's adjustable lockout force.

I just bought this fork and I have a few questions.

1. is the lockout itself a binary (on/off) switch, or is there any value in sliding it somewhere in between open and locked out?

2. if it can be used in between open and locked, how should this be tuned in combination with the lockout force adjustment?

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
I apologize for the >3 year bump, but I searched and this really is the best thread out of several that discusses the Fox RLC's adjustable lockout force.

I just bought this fork and I have a few questions.

1. is the lockout itself a binary (on/off) switch, or is there any value in sliding it somewhere in between open and locked out?

2. if it can be used in between open and locked, how should this be tuned in combination with the lockout force adjustment?
It's essentially on or off.

Don't try to tune it by adjusting the lockout lever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.