Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried everything to loosen up my well used Fox Float fork. Greased seals, oil change, fit damper checked for stiction and bled and lower psi. Small bump compliance is terrible The fork feels tight and notchy. When I rock the fork back and forth, there is no perceivable play which I thought was a good thing. I am really suspecting the bushing tolerances are too tight. Any one narrowed their problem to tight bushings. Can I get them installed somewhere without going for a complete Push service or to Fox? Can a machine shop install them?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd trade my loose bushings ( as purchased) for too tight anyday. They should break in with use. Sometimes newer seals can give notchy feel even with grease. I do not like the grease that comes in new Fox seals. Hate to spend your money but Finish Line Stanchion Lube works well for grippy seals if that is the case.
Many self service Fox owners are using Mobile 1 engine oil in the lowers (Fit Cart forks only!!!). I'm using 20w50 now because my bushings are so loose.
I no longer use the stanchion lube because my seals are well broken in.
Good Luck!!
PS, if you shortened the air piston plunger rod the piston head may be tilted causing friction. It's rare though.
PPS: Ahhh the days of old Marzocchi forks , notchy till the seals and bushings break in....then butter.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I did get the "well used" part of your post. Not assuming the seals are new. Just grabbing at straws and trying to help.

If you had said Fox TALAS is notchy I wouldn't be surprized.

I've had to fix a bad Fit damper myself , dumped the Fox wipers / installed seals and converted from TALAS to Float. Now it is a wonderful fork. On to replacing the bushings for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm of the belief that the notchiness/stiction we experience is due to the stickiness inherent to the FIT damper. With the damper removed, and compression/rebound set to full open, manually pump the piston shaft. I think you'll find there's a great portion of the overall stickiness accounted for right there.

The way to find out for sure is to experiment by isolating some of the variables:
-Remove only the FIT damper, keeping the air spring side untouched. Hop on the fork and bounce around.
-Re-install the damper. Pop off the dust wipers (lowers seal). Hop on the fork and compare
-Remove both the damper and the seals. Hop around and compare.

If in the third instance, all is smooth, then it is most likely not your bushings. If in the third instance it is still sticky, then it could be either your bushings or your air piston seal. If in the first instance, the stickiness goes away for the most part, then it is the damper. Nothing can be done about this.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd trade my loose bushings ( as purchased) for too tight anyday. They should break in with use. Sometimes newer seals can give notchy feel even with grease. I do not like the grease that comes in new Fox seals. Hate to spend your money but Finish Line Stanchion Lube works well for grippy seals if that is the case.
Many self service Fox owners are using Mobile 1 engine oil in the lowers (Fit Cart forks only!!!). I'm using 20w50 now because my bushings are so loose.
I no longer use the stanchion lube because my seals are well broken in.
Good Luck!!
PS, if you shortened the air piston plunger rod the piston head may be tilted causing friction. It's rare though.
PPS: Ahhh the days of old Marzocchi forks , notchy till the seals and bushings break in....then butter.
I have shortened air pistons in the past but this time I purschased a new 2011 air spring which is shorter than the 2010.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm of the belief that the notchiness/stiction we experience is due to the stickiness inherent to the FIT damper. With the damper removed, and compression/rebound set to full open, manually pump the piston shaft. I think you'll find there's a great portion of the overall stickiness accounted for right there.

The way to find out for sure is to experiment by isolating some of the variables:
-Remove only the FIT damper, keeping the air spring side untouched. Hop on the fork and bounce around.
-Re-install the damper. Pop off the dust wipers (lowers seal). Hop on the fork and compare
-Remove both the damper and the seals. Hop around and compare.

If in the third instance, all is smooth, then it is most likely not your bushings. If in the third instance it is still sticky, then it could be either your bushings or your air piston seal. If in the first instance, the stickiness goes away for the most part, then it is the damper. Nothing can be done about this.
I tried everything. Sent the fork to Fox for a rebuild. Unlike Push, Fox completely disassembles the Fit cartridge and upgrades it to present standards. Push will only change the fluids in the Fit cartridge.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If the damper's the culprit, couldn't one upgrade it with a better one? Avalanche for example, if that's not too expensive.

I'm of the belief that the notchiness/stiction we experience is due to the stickiness inherent to the FIT damper....If in the first instance, the stickiness goes away for the most part, then it is the damper. Nothing can be done about this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.