Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for buying a new fork. The reviews of the fox forks are very good and say how stiff, light, and adjustable the forks are but what about reliability? I have read several threads about reliability issues with fox forks. Owners of fox float 80 RL say that after a few rides the lockout doent work. Others say when they take apart their fox 100x take apart for service they see internal parts very worn. All of this makes me hesitant about buying a fox fork. Do they still have these problems with the new 2005s? Have you guys had major reliabilty problems like this?

·
shut up and pedal
281 Posts
Reliably Clunks

On my 4th vanilla, since '02. Had early ones with leaking seals and loose bushings, all were warrantied. My latest/greatest is '04 with about 1000 miles. The seals are dry and the sloppy bushings ok, BUT it still makes a clunky type noise. I did remove the coil and found the plastic shrink wrap had shifted, helped a little. Most of the sound is on the hydraulic side.
I hope this is all fixed with the 05 models. I would still buy another one. That should be enough to say that it's a great fork, made by a company that backs up its products.
Ride

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mike_Rides_Red said:
I am in the market for buying a new fork. The reviews of the fox forks are very good and say how stiff, light, and adjustable the forks are but what about reliability?
Been riding Float RLC just about 10 months. Reliable - yes (never had to walk home), perfect - no.
Initial clonkin' problems cured by sanding shims, lockout doesn't work anymore and now there's slurping sound on rebound (Enduro seals waiting to be installed).

I hope ´05 dampers will become available during winter so I could "upgrade" to new R- damping assembly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Both Forxs have been reliable for me

I've had the Vanilla version for almost two years and it's been running trouble free. Ditto for the Float.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Very reliable for me x3

I have the Float RL on three bikes. No problems on my wife's bike nor any problems on my two bikes. Been riding the heck out of the one on my Blur for over a year now and am still astounded at how well it rides. Lockout works just fine, though I find little reason to use it. The steering ability of this fork really builds confidence. I'm 200 with a pack and have had my share of noodly forks. These Float RL's are the real deal.

Hope this helps,

MTBmoose

P.S. - You're likely only to hear from those that have problems. The rest of us are too busy out on the trails with really big grins to comment on how well their Floats are working. :D

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I am in the market for buying a new fork. The reviews of the fox forks are very good and say how stiff, light, and adjustable the forks are but what about reliability? I have read several threads about reliability issues with fox forks. Owners of fox float 80 RL say that after a few rides the lockout doent work. Others say when they take apart their fox 100x take apart for service they see internal parts very worn. All of this makes me hesitant about buying a fox fork. Do they still have these problems with the new 2005s? Have you guys had major reliabilty problems like this?

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
I think Fox pushed some products to market with out proper testing... I called Fox about my damper wear and they said "Sent it in, we have a little fix for that!"...Should have fixed it before I bought it...

The inertia cartdridge for the F100X is 225 dollars straight from fox - You can get the FLOAT RLC with lockout and blowoff threshold adjustment for 150 dollars. So my F100X will probably become a F100FLOATRLCX...cuase its cheaper.3

Most notibaly there seals leak - bad. You lose too much oil out of the damper side and you will lose rebound control and lockout (depending on which model Fox you have)...

I will say that my rear shock has been totally trouble free (float RL)...The seals did wear out - but they sold me a new set of seals cheap.

·
Registered
232 Posts
03 Float trouble-free here

I bought a 2003 Float RLC second-hand in August 2003, the original owner's receipt showed the purchase in May 03 (he upgraded to a Terralogic).

It's been completely trouble-free for the year I've had it. No oil leaks. No air leaks. Lockout works fine. I just did the first oil change after a year, and the internals looked pristine.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
04 good, 05 bad?

I have a 03 Vanilla RLC 125 that's had everything replaced. First the damper assy, then the crown/steer because of creaking, then the damper, then the damper and lower legs. And it's been serviced a couple times inbetween. All this in the last 6 months. Now it's very good.

I've also got a 05 Vanilla RLC 130, and it's absolutely clunk-free! But something is very wrong with the spring rate. The fork is easy to compress 40mm, but requires a lot of extra weight to compress it much further. I can put all my weight on the handlebar and it still only compresses to 50mm. But it still bottoms if I try, and it does so with a loud clunk, where my 03 will just stop silently. The spring rate change is very gradual, and you can't really feel it unless you compress the fork slowly. But because of this, the fork bounces all over when climbing (bouncing back when it tries to compress more than 40mm), feels harsh on roots at medium speed (again because hits that would normally activate 70-80mm only activate 40 and sending the rest through the bars), and the fork generally feels a lot more nervous than my 04. I'm sending it back to Fox for inspection today. Oh, and the crown creaks during hard braking.

Ole.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
Mike_Rides_Red said:
I've got a F80X on my singlespeed and a F100X on my Ti Racer-X. I've got about 3 months on the F80X and 2 months on the F100X. The F100X was recently raced during the TransRockies and performed beautifully...with the exception of the seal leaks. Both forks leak at the seals and I have a set of Enduro seals which I'll be installing soon.

First, I'm only 135lbs and race XC (Expert). I noticed an immediate difference with the Foxs in terms of stiffness. The Fox goes where it is pointed. My SIDs would sometimes wander when pushed hard.

My F80X had issues (dead TerraLogic, Fox clunking, creaking steerer tube/crown/stanchion assembly) within the first 2 weeks and was sent back to the Canadian authorized Fox service center (Velocycle) and was immediately overhauled and repaired. They installed a new cartridge, completely overhauled the fork so there is no longer any clunking (yahoo!) and replaced the steerer tube/crown/stanchion assembly. BTW, I didn't even now there was a problem with the steerer tube/crown/stanchion assembly...they replaced it after they noted the creaking, not me. That was very cool of them to be so pro-active.

When the fork came back, I noticed an immediate improvement. First, no clunking! Second, TerraLogic that actually works! However, it's been a couple months and it now looks like my TerraLogic may be acting-up again. I can still feel a difference when the TerraLogic is on/off, but when the fork is supposed to be closed, I'm still getting a lot of fork movement and, essentially, it feels as if the fork has a very high compression damping instead of being nearly locked-out.

Now, with my F100X, this fork has performed beautifully right-out-of-the-box. TerraLogic works, no clunking, etc. Just leaky seals.

So, these have been my first 2 Fox shocks after years on SIDs, Marzocchis, White Brothers, etc....I've never owned or ridden a Manitou. Would I buy another Fox? Hard to say. Very pricey. Durability and reliability seem to be questionable (never had a single issue with my '03 SID World Cup) and Fox USA's customer service is terrible! I never received any call backs, no replies to my numerous emails, etc. Come on Fox, get with it!Fortunately, I have the CDN Fox service center to use, which has been stellar. But, I do love the stiffness and TerraLogic (when working). At this point, I'm going to wait-n-see how my two Foxs hold-up during the fall/winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts