Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 32 F29 RL100 and have just replace the dust seals. I have never worked on a fork before. Everything in the fork seemed smooth and I was quite pleased with myself. On the first real ride today, when I went off of small drops the fork made a really loud springy thud sound. It seemed like something was wrong with the rebound. It rode fine but the noise continued the entire ride. I can no longer adjust rebound or lock out the fork. Any ideas what's wrong or how I can fix it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put 20ml into the hole at the bottom (oil bath) of both sides of the fork. Did I need to open up the damper and put in more oil?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Unless your fork says FIT on it, you have the open bath damper.
OB damper takes about 160ml.
FIT damper is a sealed system and the damper won't be affected by a seal and leg bath fluid change.
OB damper will do what you describe when the oil volume is low.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. It sounds like I was reading the oil chart wrong. One last question, do you think the little washer that goes on the bottom of the fork will still be good after I open up the fork to add more oil?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
More often than not, those washers will last through several seal/bath oil changes. Go ahead and use it again.
Also, before you add more oil, drain all the oil out of the damper side or you'll never know what volume of oil you are starting with.
remove the lowers, cycle the rod on the damper side till no more oil drips, install lowers, and then add the 160 to the damper. You can add the damper side oil from the bottom or top, but bottom should be easier in this case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts