Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I have a Fox 34 Float Performance that is well past 200 hrs of use. Fox recommend doing lower legs and damper service. I have found videos on changing the oil and doing the lower legs, but I haven't found any videos or manuals on servicing the dampers. Video I referenced:

Does anyone have any videos they recommend? Also, how challenging is the damper service? The lower leg and oil change looked pretty straightforward so I was hoping to do this all on my own.

2nd: Is servicing the dampers really necessary or do most people just routinely do the lower leg and oil change service?

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Fox have instructions on their website for doing all the dampers: GRIP and GRIP2, which share very similar service processes, and the FIT4 that requires a bleed syringe.

You say your fork is the Performance model which means you have the GRIP damper unless your fork is equipped with remote lock-out in which case it’s FIT4. Very easy to tell them apart from the top cap and adjusters.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thank you guys for the help! Also how needed is the damper service? Do you all usually do the damper service or just oil and seals?
Often, with cartridge dampers, it's not necessary to do much more than drain/flush/fill. The damper shaft seal can last a long time as long as you keep up on bath service. They all slowly ingest bath fluid, so you want to get that out and get clean fluid in. You can generally fill with a syringe, since most people don't have a proper filling machine.

For GRIP/2 dampers you'd need the shaft clamp and a top cap socket. Basically, fill and reassemble.

With FIT4 you'll want a sharp strong pick and a syringe. The Mixmizer one they use is decent and doesn't have a rubber seal to degrade. Attach a piece of tubing to that and take the plunger out.

All the info is on the Fox tech help site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.