Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1:18
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking the parts for my GF's new rig. She'll probably ride 2009 36 Talas fork, but I've been told such choice isn't optimal for light weight riders (120 lbs). The problem is in the stiction due to seals and chambers, more suitable fork would be 32 Talas (150 mm, QR15) due to less friction. Unfortunately it alters the geometry too much...

I'll be glad to hear your experience regarding 36 forks and light weight riders.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
the talas system should be similar, regading stiction, in both (32 and 36)...however for the 09 model year, fox changed the talas and they claim there is less stiction since there are fewer seals than in the previous models

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Well, the 36 Talas has more stiction due to larger seal contact area. Comparing side to side with 32 Talas, the difference is noticable (ever more when feather weight).

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Van36, totem, Marz Z1

I'm 127# and run the van36 with the lightest spring ,5wt oil and adjusted the bottom out in the fit cart. to minimal. The fork is buttery smooth and I can use most of the travel on all mountain rides with 4-5 foot jumps with no compression dampening, I still have the ability to use HSC/LSC for bigger stuff.It is on a Nomad. What frame are you looking to put the fork on?
I also have an 07' talas 36 and don't like it. Can't get any where near full travel no matter the psi.
If your GF is looking for a plush ride with no mods the totem with the white spring is the plushest fork I have ridden and no mods needed internally. Also Marzocchi that have air preload and a single spring. You can pump up the preload to get the right sag but it will most likely not show up on the shock pump gauge, just count the number of pumps ( between 2-5 psi). Plus an oil change to a lighter 5wt works. What kind of riding will she be doing?

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heather, appreciate your info, thanks. The build will most likely be a Ventana X-6, mainly for long tours with challenging terrain up and down; Alpine steeps :) Some hike-a-bike up the hill included. So the travel adjustment is a must and weight is also an important factor.

Another option would be RS Lyrik 2-step, but the downsides are reliability (already fixed?) and a pound more comparing to 32 Talas.

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Pike

Rock Shox Pike is a nice option air u-turn. I would wait for the 09' revealation, it is supposed to be less progressive which is good for us light weights. I ride a coil u-turn pike on my 5.5 occassionally and like it too. It might be alittle over sprung for your GF put the air models are very tunable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.