Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This '04 fork was fine until I did full oil change, according to manual. Now it has stiction that isn't going away after several rides and inverting bike too. Only difference is oil; I used Finish Line 7.5wt whereas before it was all old fox 'float fluid'. Current fox chart says 10wt. Red + float fluid. Before I go and re-do it all using one of those options, thought I'd check if someone's seen this before after using this oil on this old fork. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually didn't take the lowers off - just did one leg at a time as per manual. I did clean the seals though and one foam ring did look a bit loose, esp. after I cleaned it. But the upper tubes have some oil on them after riding so this tells me the seals are getting oiled to some extent at least.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,161 Posts
How did you clean the foam rings and seals without removing the lowers.

Spend the $30 and get a seal pro pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Funny you say this; I had a similar experience with my X-Fusion McQueen. I didn't have any of Xfusion's proprietary (read expensive) oil on hand so I researched a bit and found folks saying to use finish line 10wt in them, which I did. The result was stiction city, even after several rides. Small bump compliance was non existent.
I dumped the finish line, squeezed and flushed out the wipes and threw in some Fox Gold.
To my relief, back to smooth and buttery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting story, I actually hesitated with the finish Line but it was at LBS. I'm in Canada, only place I see the Fox Red oil is ebay for around $70 total - crazy. Seal kit for this fork doesn't seem too available either. The only place i found the definitive part number
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/pro...riginal-equipment-rebuild-kit/803-00-078.html
says piston seals not included. WTH use is that then!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.