Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo,
My LBS has offered to take my RockShox J4s off my hands (plus a little $) in exchange for a pair of either Fox Float 130 rlc, Fox Talus, or RockShox Revelation (spring). I'm looking for light weight, durability and I mainly use my bike for trail riding (lots of roots, rocks and small/medium drops). The travel dial is of little concern to me, but I do like the lock out option. So what would you suggest?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, The Chief.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
ChiefHugeNutz said:
Yo,
My LBS has offered to take my RockShox J4s off my hands (plus a little $) in exchange for a pair of either Fox Float 130 rlc, Fox Talus, or RockShox Revelation (spring). I'm looking for light weight, durability and I mainly use my bike for trail riding (lots of roots, rocks and small/medium drops). The travel dial is of little concern to me, but I do like the lock out option. So what would you suggest?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, The Chief.
Of the 3 the TALAS rides the worst, although, on the positive side, it has a very nice travel adjust range now with 20mm steps. It is very easy to bottom out when it is set for good small bump compliance.

The coil Revelation is the best damped and if you don't do any big drops might be your best bet. It is a very linear fork and might be easy to bottom out. Not quite as easy as the TALAS, but pretty easy.

The Float would offer the most bottom out resistance, but the rest of the stroke is inferior to the Revelation. And you have to travel adjust.

_MK

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Since both Fox are usually more expensive than the Rev, maybe you could try to convince your LBS for an Air U-turn Rev option.... you would get travel adjust (not as fast as the TALAS 2) and bottom out resistance of air....

If they are not the same price (which I'd doubt), again the Rev is a better deal for the money, but both the Float and Talas are great forks too, just a bit more $$....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MK. Sounds like you think the Revelation is the best to go with. I gotta be honest, I was kinda leaning towards the Fox forks just because I've read the reviews on this site and they sound great, but also because my rear shock is an air spring as well and might match better. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Crisillo. Actually, all the same $$ for both Fox airs and the coil Rev. You're right, the Air revelation is going for a couple hundred bucks more...that's why they didn't include it in their offer. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ChiefHugeNutz said:
Thanks Crisillo. Actually, all the same $$ for both Fox airs and the coil Rev. You're right, the Air revelation is going for a couple hundred bucks more...that's why they didn't include it in their offer. What do you think?
I have had a Pike for 6 months..and I loved it so much I just got a dual Air Rev for my singlespeed.... so far I love it... it is every bit as good as the Pike.... coil is usually more compliant to small bumps, but needs more damping for a bottom out resistance like an air sprung fork. I haven't tried the coil Rev since it is a new-for-07 model, but taking the coil Pike as a reference, it should be a great fork, especially if you don't do awfully big drops (because of bottomout resistance)

one more thing... coming from a J4..you are in for a great treat!!! :thumbsup:

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
215lbs with gear...no bottom problems with the 07 coil rev. Push is replacing Fox seals with RS seals. The rev is a great fork and with a 9mm thru bolt is *almost* as stiff as the Pike. Just make sure you buy the right coil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which coil should I get? (175lbs.) Do I have to order it from RockShox or will my LBS get me set up with the right one? Also, so no problems running a coil up front and an air shock at the back? And being more of a XC rider, I was really leaning towards the Fox airs for the same price...wouldn't they be a better deal? or are air shocks really only good for bigger drops?
Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ChiefHugeNutz said:
Which coil should I get? (175lbs.) Do I have to order it from RockShox or will my LBS get me set up with the right one? Also, so no problems running a coil up front and an air shock at the back? And being more of a XC rider, I was really leaning towards the Fox airs for the same price...wouldn't they be a better deal? or are air shocks really only good for bigger drops?
Cheers.
No problem with coil...only minor burden is ordering the right coil for your weight..

As indyfab25 said,,,apparently the coil Rev is working great...

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ChiefHugeNutz said:
Which coil should I get? (175lbs.) Do I have to order it from RockShox or will my LBS get me set up with the right one?
Usually you should order it from your LBS, but if you have a good relation with them, they might make you a deal if you get the fork from them too...

About the spring, according to page 2 of the "Coil Spring Rate Chart" from Rock Shox. For a 175 lbs weight, you should use the "Blue" spring (160 - 180 lbs), Revelation part number 11.4310.138.000

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Those spring rate charts are NOT accurate for actual weights. I run the blue and I weigh 215 with gear. Sag is perfect. Come to think of it, at 175 you will probably be able to go with the stock. I would try it out first and see. My fork sagged juuuuust a bit too much with the stock spring so I went up one. If I had gone with the "right" spring for my weight, I would not be able to move the fork! :) In addition, the shop should be able to order you a fork with one in it, but good luck. QBP charges 40 bucks to install it right there. See if your shop will help you switch it out yourself. It is a good learning experience. Your best bet would be to get it directly from RS. I paid like 25 for mine. A bummer, but better than Q's charge and I got to learn how to do it. It is very easy. The fork kicks ass by the way. I have about 400miles(maybe more and in winter conditions) on it with no problems.
By the way, I am running a Float R on the back of my 4x. The bike feels very balanced with a coil and and air. Personally, I think people think about things too much in regard to the air/coil deal. They both feel fantastic.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
indyfab25 said:
Those spring rate charts are NOT accurate for actual weights. I run the blue and I weigh 215 with gear. Sag is perfect. Come to think of it, at 175 you will probably be able to go with the stock. I would try it out first and see. My fork sagged juuuuust a bit too much with the stock spring so I went up one. If I had gone with the "right" spring for my weight, I would not be able to move the fork! :) In addition, the shop should be able to order you a fork with one in it, but good luck. QBP charges 40 bucks to install it right there. See if your shop will help you switch it out yourself. It is a good learning experience. Your best bet would be to get it directly from RS. I paid like 25 for mine. A bummer, but better than Q's charge and I got to learn how to do it. It is very easy. The fork kicks ass by the way. I have about 400miles(maybe more and in winter conditions) on it with no problems.
By the way, I am running a Float R on the back of my 4x. The bike feels very balanced with a coil and and air. Personally, I think people think about things too much in regard to the air/coil deal. They both feel fantastic.
Good to know... that's great info... seems like RS is overshoots their spring rates just as much as their recommended air pressures....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for info guys, man this forum Rocks!:thumbsup:
Actually, the guy at my LBS said that the stock spring in the coil rev was suited for your "average" rider, 170lbs. So I guess that should do me. I think I'm going to definitely go with the coil Rev. My only concern is weight...as it's a half a pound heavier than the Float and I really wanted a noticable difference from my RSJudy4.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ChiefHugeNutz said:
Thanks for info guys, man this forum Rocks!:thumbsup:
Actually, the guy at my LBS said that the stock spring in the coil rev was suited for your "average" rider, 170lbs. So I guess that should do me. I think I'm going to definitely go with the coil Rev. My only concern is weight...as it's a half a pound heavier than the Float and I really wanted a noticeable difference from my RSJudy4.
No biggie! :thumbsup:

Surprisingly, it might still be lighter than your Judy and the difference in damping and adjustment will be incredible....

Make sure to post some pics when you get it ;)

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I have been riding a TALAS for years and just got a new one, it is by far the best fork I have ever ridden. Anyone who dosn't like the feel of a TALAS I suspect has it set up wrong. They are not the plushest in the parking lot but once you hit the trail they can't be beat. The RLC modle has more adjustments than anyone realy needs and can be made to feel all mountain plush or race ready.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Johnny,
As reference though, have you ever ridden the 07 Rev? Basically I'm trying to choose between the 07 coil Rev, and the 06 Talus or 06 Float...for trails (small drops, lots of roots/rocks and such. Anyone tried all 3 of these out?

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
No, I have ridden( for a short ride) a Reba air fork with u turn but not a Revalation coil. The Reba was nice but just not quite as good on the trails as the TALAS. The Reba was on a friends Trek fule X and had the pop lock wich was is nice but I never used it. I find the Fox sucks up everything big or small and if you get the RLC you can filter out any brake dive.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ChiefHugeNutz
Just one additional detail... if the offer is for an 06 Talas, it will have travel adjust 100 - 130mm, but not the super cool 3 step one (100-120-140) that the 07s have... just so you remember that... the U-turn in the Rev is just like the one in the 06 talas... so that is no deal breaker either... just wanted to bring that detail up...

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I have both the new style and old style TALAS and I actualy perfer the old style travel adjust. I have never felt the need to lower the fork for climbing and liked being able to dial in perfect ride hight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great! Now I just don't know what to go with.

One more piece of info I probably should have stated in the veryfirst post: The Talus and the Float were both show room models so they've been hanging around the shop for a good year now, where as the rev just came in brand spankin'.

Also, both Fox's have short stems on them at the moment, but the shop says they'll be able to throw long stems on them to fit my bike if I want them. Is this of any concern? I keep reading posts about Fox's required maintenance and it's a little scarey, but perhaps that's jsut because there's so many out there?

Oh, and one more thing, the Float is only lock/unlock, no adjust...but man I love the weight of them. Given that, now which would you go with if you were me. Sorry I keep flippin' here but I'm just about to leave my bike with them for the day and I need to make my decision.

Believe it or not, you guys have been very helpfull so far. ;-)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.