Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the problems is that the shock is making noise.
It's pretty much as in the video below.
Shock making weird "sucking noise" - Pinkbike Forum

The next problem is when I sit down on the bike, it automatically bottoms out, it didn't do that when I bought the bike. Did it lose pressure?
On the fastest rebound it doesn't rebound until I get off the bike.

I looked on pictures and the shock doesn't have the blue lever to adjust the rebound stiffness, I bought the bike off craigslist, should've checked more carefully, but that doesn't bother me.

Anybody knows how to fix this problem?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Top/main chamber is where the positive (compression) air goes in, so if you are bottoming out just by sitting on the bike, it means either a) you simply don't have enough air, or b) positive air escaping into negative air chamber (where stanchion comes out), causing it also not to rebound (since negative gets more air). If that's the case, then you would need to do an internal service with air sleeve kit ($30 or so at LSB). Watch Fox YouTube for direction.

There is a chance though, that previous owner may have nicked the main piston seals or air can, if air is escaping from main chamber to negative - you can't fix that.

Sucking swoosh noise is typical.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing the problem is not enough air cuz the shock looks good with no damage to it.
How much would it cost for a bike shop to fill it with air?

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
If you do a search you will find pumps from roughly $20 +. I like the pumps that have the valve in the head like the one I listed. The Amazon seller want's too much for shipping.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I bought a Bontrager pump from my LBS for about $40.Ebay has them but Amazon doesnt, but they have similar ones for about the same price. Get the 300+ psi, not the 150psi. To get 25% sag on my RP2, i am running 160psi ( i am 160lbs). You may need more or less psi depending on your weight & personal preference/riding style.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Comment says it's too little air volume for 700C tire, which is about 1/10th of MTB tire volume, so if you are thinking to use it for tires, then not a good choice. You'll probably end up buying a tire pump - but you may tough it out. Looks good enough, interesting design.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Comment says it's too little air volume for 700C tire, which is about 1/10th of MTB tire volume, so if you are thinking to use it for tires, then not a good choice. You'll probably end up buying a tire pump - but you may tough it out. Looks good enough, interesting design.
Well I don't think I'd use it for inflating tires, when I go biking I fill up tires before and throw the compressor in the car and don't really need to inflate it during rides.
Wow that one takes 17-28 days to arrive.

Ordered this one instead, arrives thursday and hopefully works out fine.
Might just return it after I'm done with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts