Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Monocog Masher
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been saving up for a Trek Superfly 100 Elite, but my bike shop has a Superfly 100 in stock that they want to get rid of. The Elite has X.0 2x10 as compared to the X.9 3x10 on the base Superfly. I really want a 2X10 setup. They told me they would convert the bike to a 2X10 X.9 for me with out raising the price, which I would be happy with.

The only other difference between the two bikes are the Elite has a Fox Float RP23 instead of just the Fox Float RP2. It appears the difference is a extra setting for pro pedal and a BOOST valve. Is the RP23 noticeably better than the RP2??

Secondly, the fork on the Elite is Fox F29 RLC versus just the F29 RL on the base model. What's the difference?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fox PR23 is better than Fox PR2

I'm also new in this forum. I'm really interested in your question. Let me help you!
Fox PR2 BV is different from Fox PR23 BV. I have found out the information of these two items, you can compare it.
1 Weight: Fox PR23 BV is lighter than Fox PR2 BV
Fox PR2 BV 0.5 lbs / 227 g
Fox PR23 BV 0.46 lbs / 208 g
2 Length / Travel: Fox PR23 BV is longer than Fox PR2 BV
Fox PR23 BV:
5.50 x 1.00
6.00 x 1.25
6.50 x 1.50
7.25 x 1.75
7.50 x 2.00
7.875 x 2.00
7.875 x 2.25
8.50 x 2.50
Fox PR2 BV
5.50 x 1.00
6.00 x 1.25
6.50 x 1.50
7.25 x 1.75
7.50 x 2.00
7.875 x 2.00
7.875 x 2.25
3 Adjustments: Fox PR23 BV has new adjustment for 3 Position compression adjust.
After compare with them, i think Fox PR23 BV is better, it can be fast and better during race.
More information, you can consider these sites: foxracingshox and smalltao.com.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ride the bike, don't look at specs. I have an RP2 on my bike, and it's set-and-forget. I don't dink around with the settings. Maybe having more granularity in the settings would help me find a better setup, but I doubt it. So a(n) RP23 wouldn't really be a worthwhile upgrade for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had an RP2 on a Titus frame I bought new, and it was rock-hard even when the pro-pedal was OFF, and I discovered that it had a "firm" damping setting from the factory that was not adjustable. There is a sticker on the shock body that states this.

I looked around for a "medium" RP2, and it seemed like they didn't make one. Couldn't find one.

This lack of adjustability pissed me off, so I bought an RP23 that had "med" factory compression, and the added adjustability of the "3". MUCH better shock.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had an RP2 on a Titus frame I bought new, and it was rock-hard even when the pro-pedal was OFF, and I discovered that it had a "firm" damping setting from the factory that was not adjustable. There is a sticker on the shock body that states this.

I looked around for a "medium" RP2, and it seemed like they didn't make one. Couldn't find one.

This lack of adjustability pissed me off, so I bought an RP23 that had "med" factory compression, and the added adjustability of the "3". MUCH better shock.
On a rear shock with fixed compression tuning, tune is specified by the manufacturer of the bike, and usually corresponds to the leverage ratio of the rear suspension.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Both are great shocks, and both are great forks. I doubt you'll notice a difference between them. I'm guessing that the standard 100 is considerably cheaper. X9 is solid stuff. If the prices are pretty close, I might consider going for the Elite, but there is no bad choice there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.