Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
dulyebr said:
Is there a difference between these two shocks besides the on the fly adjustability of the platform?
Weight... although not by a whole lot:

05 RP3 165mm 206g
02 Float R 165mm 221g
04 Float AVA R 165mm 269g

Price.

ANY adjsutability of the platform. You can't adjust the platform on the Rs at all.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
dulyebr said:
Is there a difference between these two shocks besides the on the fly adjustability of the platform?
I was under the impression that the RP3 has a larger air chamber that allows it to have a more linear rate than the Float R.

If it turns out that the new Float R is basically an RP3 without the 3 way adjustability, I think I may buy the FLoat....as I would most likely ride the RP3 in the minus position most of the time.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just called Fox...

Just called Fox and asked them. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I wanted to compare the 2005 RP3 and the 2005 Float R. Fox verified what the Titus website claimed, that the Float R is the RP3 in the middle setting. Since I do not see the value in the platform adustment, I think I'll just go with the float.

Does anyone out there have the RP3 that feels the adjustablility is a must-have?

·
Registered
868 Posts
dulyebr said:
Just called Fox and asked them. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I wanted to compare the 2005 RP3 and the 2005 Float R. Fox verified what the Titus website claimed, that the Float R is the RP3 in the middle setting. Since I do not see the value in the platform adustment, I think I'll just go with the float.

Does anyone out there have the RP3 that feels the adjustablility is a must-have?
Those were the only weights that seemed applicable from weightweenies. I didn't see one for an 05 Float R. At one time people claimed the RP3s were lighter, but if fox has brought the float weight down then they are probably about the same. My RP3 says "high volume" on it. I was told that this makes it the same as the AVA with the AVA all the way on the largest setting. I don't know how the Floats compare.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
dulyebr said:

The RP3 is a Float. The Float R is the same shock (same weight, same spring rate) without the ProPedal adjustment. Personally, I would rather have one good setting than the adjustability feature. If you don't like it, you can get it upgraded at PUSH Industries for about the same as the upcharge on the RP3 and you get full custom tuning. I will say that the Fox Float R that come on the Racer-X and MotoLite frames is a lighter valving than the aftermarket version. I think the ProPedal setting is more compareable with the minus setting on the RP3 for these bikes.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
I ride mine in the (-) position

Blue Shorts said:
I was under the impression that the RP3 has a larger air chamber that allows it to have a more linear rate than the Float R.

If it turns out that the new Float R is basically an RP3 without the 3 way adjustability, I think I may buy the FLoat....as I would most likely ride the RP3 in the minus position most of the time.
exclusively. I'm thinking of trying the other positions for racing..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.