Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I desperately want to get another shock on the back of my Specialized FSR. It is currently a Fox Float R. When I measure the shock eye to eye, it appears to be like 6". Can anybody else tell me if its worth it to "PUSH" this shock or throw it? I don't want to try to invest in fixing this bobbing shock if it isn't going to be as good as another similiar size shock. Can someone recomend another shock? Maybe that isn't an air shock that will fit my bike. Thanks all.

Sid

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
sid said:
I desperately want to get another shock on the back of my Specialized FSR. It is currently a Fox Float R. When I measure the shock eye to eye, it appears to be like 6". Can anybody else tell me if its worth it to "PUSH" this shock or throw it? I don't want to try to invest in fixing this bobbing shock if it isn't going to be as good as another similiar size shock. Can someone recomend another shock? Maybe that isn't an air shock that will fit my bike. Thanks all.

Sid
Perfect candidate to get PUSHed. I ride a CDale Jekyll which used to be a pogostick, but I got my Float PUSHed and it helped a ton. Made the bob very minimal and made the shock's travel much more useable. The tire really sticks to the ground now, much more so than before.

I'm sure Fox makes the RP3 in a size for your FSR, and that would be a good shock but the PUSHed Float R would likely be as good or better since it is custom valved for your bike, weight and riding style. Plus its probably about 1/2 as much.

And I would bet your shock is probably a 6.5x1.5. You'd want to make very sure of the exact stroke and eye to eye length before ordering a new one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eye to eye

Jdub said:
Perfect candidate to get PUSHed. I ride a CDale Jekyll which used to be a pogostick, but I got my Float PUSHed and it helped a ton. Made the bob very minimal and made the shock's travel much more useable. The tire really sticks to the ground now, much more so than before.

I'm sure Fox makes the RP3 in a size for your FSR, and that would be a good shock but the PUSHed Float R would likely be as good or better since it is custom valved for your bike, weight and riding style. Plus its probably about 1/2 as much.

And I would bet your shock is probably a 6.5x1.5. You'd want to make very sure of the exact stroke and eye to eye length before ordering a new one.
How do you actually measure this dimension? I just measured the shock while on the bike. What do the 2 #'s mean? Is it eye to eye length and stroke? So your thinking the PUSH thing is a good thing huh? Thanks.

Sid

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I'd keep it.

If you do, have it Push'd should make a world of difference. Even if you don't want it, stick with an air shock. Splurge for Swinger 3way or a Fox RP3. It'll save you a pound.

If you want a coil, pick up a Vanilla R or RL off of Ebay. You can get a Vanilla in your size for dirt cheap, then send it to Push Ind. and get it worked over. That's what I'm thinking about doing with my FSR XC. I bought a BETD link and tried to put a Romic on it, but it won't fit, so I'm going to go with a Push'd Vanilla.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
sid said:
How do you actually measure this dimension? I just measured the shock while on the bike. What do the 2 #'s mean? Is it eye to eye length and stroke? So your thinking the PUSH thing is a good thing huh? Thanks.

Sid
You'd probably have to take it off the bike to get a proper eye to eye measurement. However, this information can usually be easily obtained on the web. Try searching these boards or email Specialized, they can usually tell you for sure.

6.5 (eye to eye) x 1.5 (stroke length) seems to be a very common shock size.

I'm thinking PUSH is the best upgrade per dollar I've done on my bike. I wasn't happy at all with the Jekyll, and was about to sell it. The shock needed to be rebuilt anyway, so I sent it to PUSH back in their early days before their reputation had really been established. I was really impressed with their work when I got it back. It changed my bike from a bike with 4.5 inches of travel that bobbed and was VERY progressive to a great 4.5 trailbike with 4.5 inches of useable travel. I was pretty amazed that a shock gutting and rebuild could change the ride characteristics of the frame so much, but I've been riding it every since and can't hardly justify selling this one and moving to something better since it rides so well now.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Jdub said:
If it's a an 02-04 FSR XC, it'll have a 6.0" eye to eye with a stroke of 1.25" In 05 they went up to a 6.5X1.5

01-03 Stumpjumpers also have a 6.0X1.25 shock, in 04 they went up 6.5X1.5 In 05 they went up to 7.5X1.75 for the 120 Model but stayed the same for the standard 100mm version.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBk...sionIdroot=wyczxzkzn0.j27008&bikeTab=techspec

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna keep it

mattsavage said:
If you do, have it Push'd should make a world of difference. Even if you don't want it, stick with an air shock. Splurge for Swinger 3way or a Fox RP3. It'll save you a pound.

If you want a coil, pick up a Vanilla R or RL off of Ebay. You can get a Vanilla in your size for dirt cheap, then send it to Push Ind. and get it worked over. That's what I'm thinking about doing with my FSR XC. I bought a BETD link and tried to put a Romic on it, but it won't fit, so I'm going to go with a Push'd Vanilla.
Thanks all for your timely help. You guys have convinced me to save the bike, work the shock, GET a fork(AXEL is beat) and raise the stem angle and also the rise in the bars. The shock was my main concern of all. The bike is abo****ely beautiful in its stock Red. Thanks again guys.

Sid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.