Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together my Fango and I am trying to decide between the Reba Team and a Fox float RLT 100. It seems that both of these forks have some serious production issues--the Reba's don't holder air longer than a few rides and the Fox has a tendency to develop serious play in the lowers. It's really hard to drop $520-$675 on a fork when I constantly hear people commenting on these issues. Any suggestions/ comments on getting a light, 100mm travel fork are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Some other options...

iceaxe said:
I'm putting together my Fango and I am trying to decide between the Reba Team and a Fox float RLT 100. It seems that both of these forks have some serious production issues--the Reba's don't holder air longer than a few rides and the Fox has a tendency to develop serious play in the lowers. It's really hard to drop $520-$675 on a fork when I constantly hear people commenting on these issues. Any suggestions/ comments on getting a light, 100mm travel fork are very much appreciated.
Skareb Elite 100mm @ 1470g
Reba @ 1646g
Float RLT 100mm @ 1652g
Marathon SL 100-120mm @ a bit over 1700g
Black Super Air 100mm @ a bit over 1700g

Those are really your big options, Magura also makes the Ronin at about the same as the Marathon or the Black. If you consider 80mm forks you have the SIDs and the Marathon Race.

Durability is going to go to the Marzocchis for sure, but the Manitous are probably ok although I don't have much experience with them. The Foxes have bushing play as a "feature". They also are not super adjustable. I went with the Marathon SL and set it down to 105mm or so. I'm happy with my ability to tune the progressiveness, spring rate, negative spring rate and rebound. It has TST which I rarely use, but once I dialed in the other settings I'm very happy with the ride, although it is on the heavier end of the forks listed.

·
Registered
868 Posts
He's right.

The "feature" of having loose bushings allows oil to flow through them so that they last almost as long as Marzocchi bushings (more sarcasm here). Fox does not admit that the loose bushing/loose headset feeling is an issue. It bothers some people more than others.

I have had 2 fox forks and thought they were both great... but both had some bushing play.

On the other hand I have had 10 (at last count) Marzocchis and not one had any play in the bushings. The Marzocchis feel very notchy and kinda poor for about the first three rides while the bushings wear in from being tight initially... but after that they are very very plush.

I have only had a couple of Manitous over the years and they seemed fine to me... none of them were high end models.

That said, I will admit that I am biased toward Marzocchis. That's because the forks and the customer service has treated me well. I find them easier to work on than the foxes and require less work. I would buy another fox, or manitou and would even consider the RS stuff now... I wouldn't have a few years ago though.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well I'll give a nod for the REBA. My REBA SL is working pretty good after 55 hours and over 730 miles. Found I was using less air pressures than recomended at first but have started using around what is recomended for my weight now. I don't have the pop-lock remote, but find I can reach down easy enough and adjust the motion-control adjuster - I think the motion control is great as it isn't all or nothing you set it in-between to help for brake dive or too help stiffen or loosen the ride. Don't know which version you're getting , but the normal Team is on Jenson for $374.99 and U-Turn version for $514.99

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I love my Reba team with uturn and poplock. I bought 2mos ago for $405 and couldn't be happier. I too was scared of the issues with the o-ring, but i wonder if that was an early on issue.
I ride a f80 rlt with the bushing feature. Took about 200-300 miles to show up.
05 talas without the bushing feature so far. I'm sure it is coming.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Jesterrider said:
Mountain biking in barbados.....it's gotta be rough...:)
Yeh it's so rough.

No seriously though it is, the island is so small that there not too many places to go - can't just hop in the car and pop over to the next island or maybe Fruita, or Canmoor :D There's quite a bit of decent trails, unfortunately the more hardcore riders have basically stopped riding so the better/more tech trails are over-grown and disappearing. Also you can't really get any cycling/MTB supplies and getting good tires is the worst - bikes once you really get into it you buy in the US and bring in.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
robsetsfire said:
He's right.

The "feature" of having loose bushings allows oil to flow through them so that they last almost as long as Marzocchi bushings (more sarcasm here). Fox does not admit that the loose bushing/loose headset feeling is an issue. It bothers some people more than others.
Yep, it's called "Hydrodynamic lubrication"....look it up in the Fox manual.

It sounds good in theory. That is, create a small gap between the stanchions and bushings, such that, when the fork is cycling, the oil is forced into the gap to create a thin layer of lubrication. When the fork is stationary, there is no oil in the gap. This can be felt when rocking the bike back-n-forth in the showroom. It feels like sloppy bushings (which, it really is) or a loose headset: aka, Fox knock.

On my F80X, it drove me nuts! I had to send my fork back within 2 weeks (dead TerraLogic) and I also had them fix the bushings. When my fork came back, surprise, no more knocking. On the other hand, my F100X was smooth right-out-of-the-box. So, which is it Fox?

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
iceaxe said:
A buddy of mine is in the same boat. He recently got a new FS-XC frameset that needs a 100mm fork. He was riding a Ti HT with a 80mm SID, but cracked the frame and is now riding the FS-XC with the 80mm fork and needs a 100mm fork soon.

I'm not convinced on Fox. I've got a F80X and F100X and they've done little to sway my vote their way. I'm looking at some new fork options, too: Marathon, Reba, Ronin, etc.

It's been a while since I've ridden a Zokes. The last one I raced on was a X-Fly. It wasn't too bad, but I later went with a RS SID WC and was really impressed with this fork. I know, a lot of people slam RS (heck, I used to be the #1 slammer for years), but my SID WC has 2-yrs of hard racing, training, etc. and it is still going. But, it's been a while since I've ridden a RS (never ridden a Reba), so I'll have to do some more reading to see what the verdict is. My buddy has beaten the crap out of his SID, so he's leaning towards the Reba.

I've never ridden a Manitou, but would like to try a Skareb or Black.

Anyway, back to Zokes. I'm really curious about the Marathon Race (80mm for my SS) and Marathon SL (105mm for my RX-100). What's the scoop on these two?

·
Registered
868 Posts
1speed_Mike said:
A buddy of mine is in the same boat. He recently got a new FS-XC frameset that needs a 100mm fork. He was riding a Ti HT with a 80mm SID, but cracked the frame and is now riding the FS-XC with the 80mm fork and needs a 100mm fork soon.

I'm not convinced on Fox. I've got a F80X and F100X and they've done little to sway my vote their way. I'm looking at some new fork options, too: Marathon, Reba, Ronin, etc.

It's been a while since I've ridden a Zokes. The last one I raced on was a X-Fly. It wasn't too bad, but I later went with a RS SID WC and was really impressed with this fork. I know, a lot of people slam RS (heck, I used to be the #1 slammer for years), but my SID WC has 2-yrs of hard racing, training, etc. and it is still going. But, it's been a while since I've ridden a RS (never ridden a Reba), so I'll have to do some more reading to see what the verdict is. My buddy has beaten the crap out of his SID, so he's leaning towards the Reba.

Anyway, back to Zokes. I'm really curious about the Marathon Race (80mm for my SS) and Marathon SL (105mm for my RX-100). What's the scoop on these two?
I'm planning on picking up a 80mm Marathon Race for my Single Speed when I see some on sale. I have a Marathon SL on my Blur and am very happy with it.

Also check out this thread if you haven't:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=98194

·
bike dork extraordinaire
628 Posts
Skareb is iffy also...

1speed_Mike said:

I have a 2004 Skareb Platinum 100mm which just came back from Manitou after the SPV blew out. On a 30 mile ride it developed the loudest knocking noise I've ever heard from a fork. Out of frustration I bought a closeout 2004 F100X which seems good so far, but now I'm worried about this bushing issue. I guess you can't win with suspension fork reliability these days...

·
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A loose headset feel is not a feature! This is absurd that Fox is dealing with poor tolerances/durability by claiming this. Zokes forks have a longer axle-crown length which is why I really haven't been considering them seeing as how the bike I'm getting is desinged for an 80 mm travel fork. So I guess this mean RS is the way to go...

·
Registered
868 Posts
iceaxe said:
A loose headset feel is not a feature! This is absurd that Fox is dealing with poor tolerances/durability by claiming this. Zokes forks have a longer axle-crown length which is why I really haven't been considering them seeing as how the bike I'm getting is desinged for an 80 mm travel fork. So I guess this mean RS is the way to go...
The Marzocchis are 2mm longer that a matching travel fox and 3mm longer than a matching travel RS Reba or Manitou Skereb.

Here you go:

80mm forks:
Fox Float RLT 80mm: 450.9mm
Marzocchi Marathon Race 80mm: 453mm
Manitou Skareb Elite 80mm: 450mm
RockShox Reba 85mm: 455mm

100mm forks:
Fox Float RLC/T 100mm: 470.9mm
Marzocchi Marathon SL @ 105mm: 478mm
Manitou Skareb Elite 100mm: 470mm
RockShox Reba 100mm: 470mm

This is all not accounting for sag. Remember that a 100mm fork with 25% sag will be 25mm lower where an 80mm fork with 25% sag will only be 20mm lower. This bring the longer travel Reba 85 more in line with the other 80mm forks and the 105mm Marathon more inline with the other 100mm forks.

I don't really see the huge difference between the heights accross the XC forks.

·
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the specs! I've been looking for these. I guess that makes my decision a bit more dificult--I really like the idea ofthe ETA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.