Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding a 2009 SC Heckler with a stock rp23 light valved for comp and rebound. The shock has a high volume air can. My question is this: for the type of riding I do (xc/trail) what is the ideal size air can, high volume or med. volume? What is the difference between the two in performance? I am looking for good small bump compliance, efficient pedaling and climbing and a nice progression at he end of the stroke for when I do hit bigger stuff. Would I be better off getting my shock re-valved and or switch the air can?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
The air can effects the air spring progression. Run the proper sag then determine how much travel you use on your biggest drops / hits / jumps during an average ride. If you bottom too easily install the low volume can. If you find you need a middle ground you can shim a hi volume can - perform a search on this topic.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what I'm noticing is too soft of a midstroke when pedaling (bobbing). Would a small volume can provide more midstroke compression damping and still give good plushness at the beggining stroke for small bump compliance?

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
DTL said:
I think what I'm noticing is too soft of a midstroke when pedaling (bobbing). Would a small volume can provide more midstroke compression damping and still give good plushness at the beggining stroke for small bump compliance?
The Heckler may need more compression/Propedal damping, since it's a single pivot. Maybe check the Santa Cruz forum for Heckler setup info.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
DTL said:
thats the most common complaint with fox shocks.. no mid stroke support. all mine have done the same thing, big cans, small cans, everything.

a small volume can would definitely help, but its not going to solve all your problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.