Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new member, first post.

I got an Enduro Expert 29 a few weeks ago that came with a FOX Float CTD Performance with Boost Valve.

I let all the air out of the shock for the first time today and it went down through its travel and then stopped about 15-20mm from the bottom of the shaft with a clunk as though it was at full travel. I tried pushing down more on the saddle but it won't go any farther down.

I can't see any external reason for this, it just has a complete stop at this point in the travel as if it has reached the bottom.

This can't be normal is it? Or maybe it has something to do with this Boost Valve as I've heard it is meant to prevent bottoming the shock out?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The shock probably has a stroke limiter in the air can. Look how close the tire is. Does it seem likely that the tire should move any closer to the seat tube?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Marcus, I've checked it again and when the shock is at this bottomed out point the wheel is about 5-10mm from the frame so maybe this is just part of the design. The only odd thing is that this bike is meant to have 155mm of rear travel but the travel of the shock to this stopping point is only about 55mm along the length of the shock shaft. I assume that the actual travel of the wheel is more due to the pivot points but where exactly do I measure the actual travel from point A to B?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes. The linkage. Your wheel moves more than the actual stroke of the shock. On the front end, the fork travel is equal to the wheel travel. On the rear, there is a ratio of wheel travel to stroke. Specialized uses longer shocks with a limiter on lots of bikes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a good look at it now and what you are saying about a limiter seems to be the case as there is about 155mm of vertical travel in the rear wheel so it's just my "noobness" with rear shocks that was confusing me. This also explains why I thought I wasn't getting full travel as I was expecting the shock to run the full length of its shaft and it also means that what I thought was 20% sag was actually closer to 45% so a least I can now set it up properly.

Thanks again Marcus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts