Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mountain biking fanatic!
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice here...

On a ride a couple of days ago, there was a "clunking" feeling coming from the rear suspension on my Tracer. Basically it felt like it was underinflated and bottoming out (though I check the pressure regularly). Before last night's ride I ensured correct pressure (about 210lbs for my 200lb weight on my Tracer), and checked all linkages. It was a cardio climbing ride, but sure enough there was the problem again. Standing and cycling the suspension, everything seems fine, but then I figured out that if it was compressed quicked, the lockout would engage (at least partially).

Finally I realized that if I flip the lockout lever past it's proper position (it a model with the positions at about 4 and 8 o'clock), it works OK.

Will it fail? Have others had this problem? Tonight I'll take a closer look at it, but any advice would be greatly appreciated as we're heading to Kingdom Trails, VT and if it fails I'm SOL!

Please tell me that it's something that I can correct, or maybe it's time to get it "pushed".
The shox is an upgraded Float RC - AVA, fully rebuilt this Winter with new piston, etc, and I was without it for almost 2 months!

Thanks,

Uncle Mike

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
Uncle_Mike said:

On a ride a couple of days ago, there was a "clunking" feeling coming from the rear suspension on my Tracer. Basically it felt like it was underinflated and bottoming out (though I check the pressure regularly). Before last night's ride I ensured correct pressure (about 210lbs for my 200lb weight on my Tracer), and checked all linkages. It was a cardio climbing ride, but sure enough there was the problem again. Standing and cycling the suspension, everything seems fine, but then I figured out that if it was compressed quicked, the lockout would engage (at least partially).

Finally I realized that if I flip the lockout lever past it's proper position (it a model with the positions at about 4 and 8 o'clock), it works OK.

Will it fail? Have others had this problem? Tonight I'll take a closer look at it, but any advice would be greatly appreciated as we're heading to Kingdom Trails, VT and if it fails I'm SOL!

Please tell me that it's something that I can correct, or maybe it's time to get it "pushed".
The shox is an upgraded Float RC - AVA, fully rebuilt this Winter with new piston, etc, and I was without it for almost 2 months!

Thanks,

Uncle Mike
I've got the same shock on my Tracer. Mine has exactly the same behaviour as yours but it has always been that way. The two positions don't seem right. I always keep the lockout lever up at the 1 oclock position. The lever is up against the frame. When I use the lockout I just set it all the way in the other end (8 oclock position). The shock works fine, I wouldn't worry. I noticed this from the beginning. I rarely use the lockout. The next time I get it serviced it will be Pushed. I had it serviced directly from Fox and it took about two weeks. I have a Vanilla coil shock for backup. Back to the lever position. I've had no problem with it. I don't know why there is a 4 oclock position. I haven't ever had it in that position. I like the AVA sleeve very much. I'm getting just about full stroke in the fully open position. No problems at all.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Had the same thing happen

Uncle_Mike said:

Thanks,

Uncle Mike
Using a vanilla RL on my tracer. It was worse on steep and technical trails too for some reason. I found that if had the lockout lever in any other postion other than the on and off position it changed the compression setting on the shock to something i didnt like. I ended cutting the lockout lever. It worked while it was cut and then i went with a AVA R propedal.

If your shock isnt already stable i'd consider getting it pushed. My AVA R propedal works so well theres really NO use for a lockout at all.

·
Mountain biking fanatic!
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's good news, I really hope that it will last. This shock has been with me on my various Tracers, now on year 4, had 2 overhauls at Fox, then a complete rebuild/upgrade.

My understanding was that originally the RC had the 4/8:00 positions, then I believe it was around 2001 when they became 3:00/9:00 off/on.

It's never acted up before, so certainly hoping that it doesn't deteriorate further. At the same time I do use the lock more now than before.

I'm quite pleased with the AVA as well, but I did have to reduce the chamber size somewhat to stop bottoming at proper sag and keep things a little less squishy. Now with a Minute 3 on the front, I'm keen to get a SPV set-up on the back too.

The 1:00 position is where it is working for now, so let's hope for the best. The season is too short to be without my ride.

Thanks

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
jrm said:
Using a vanilla RL on my tracer. It was worse on steep and technical trails too for some reason. I found that if had the lockout lever in any other postion other than the on and off position it changed the compression setting on the shock to something i didnt like. I ended cutting the lockout lever. It worked while it was cut and then i went with a AVA R propedal.

If your shock isnt already stable i'd consider getting it pushed. My AVA R propedal works so well theres really NO use for a lockout at all.
I'm thinking about getting my float RL pushed but I dont want to loose the lockout feature which will happen, plus I want to feel how it would work "pushed".
I have to get my shock rebuilt soon anyways since its making the squishy sound again..and paying an extra 100$ to get the "pushed" might be a nice thing.

Lockout is nice when riding along the road ( which some ppl do to get to their trails ) or riding along sideroads.

·
Mountain biking fanatic!
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shock surviving

...following up, I rode all weekend and had no further problem with lockout while it was in the exagerated lever position. Guess I'll leave it and someday get it Pushed.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts