Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently won a pair of new fox float 36 RC2's 170mm on ebay, I know there is a bedding in period but I can’t see this issue getting any better.
On DH sections at my local trail the forks seem to dive right down under braking, Iv set the LSC to max and the sag set to 20% and it dives like mad!
When I push on the crown the forks will extend further...but then sink back to normal when letting go.
Is there some kind of adjustable negative spring in these forks? Has anyone any suggestions?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
I can't comment on the newer Floats but I did briefly run a 2007 Float RC2. I was coming off a Marzocchi dual coil fork and the Float felt way too linear in its initial travel. Running lots of LSC and running too much air made slightly better but not enough to keep. I went to a Vanilla 36 that felt much better but didn't have the best bottomout control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping they would be a better ride than my mates 2009 160mm 36 floats but there nowhere near! Would removing the 10mm spacer increasing the travel to 180mm make any difference?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds like you might benefit from an air volume adjustment. I think push makes a top cap with a spacer system. Or get an avalanche cartridge custom tuned to you. They have a mid valve and a high speed bottoming cone. Wide range of rebound and compression adjustment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Ow!
775 Posts
Do an overhaul. You never know what you get off ebay, especially whether it has been maintained like it should. Probably not need to replace seals, etc., but take it apart, clean it well, and put new oil in. Bummer, but not that unexpected. Hopefully, you got it at a great price to justify taking it apart. I had to do that with a Marz 55 STA I got off ebay. The Micro cartridge was not properly functioning, so I was certain it was low on fluid (even though the previous owner had the STA replaced by Marz.). Just took the cartridge out, dumped the oil, cleaned, new oil, and all is great now. Do not know if a cleaning and new oil will absolutely work for you, but worth a try, especially since Fox's need a lot of maintenance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm certain they were new as they came unopened in the box... There's not 1 mark anywhere on the fork/axel/steerer tube which makes me believe they are new. Is it possible fox have under filled the damper cart from new? Im guessing this problem will only get worse as they bed in :(

·
Ow!
775 Posts
He said their new. Maybe he meant new to him?
Sorry. I just read ebay, so went with used. I need to improve my reading skills.

But, even if new, you are right DOL. The factory may not have put in the correct oil levels. I would check that first. ALMOST EVERY fork I have bought new did not have the correct oil volume/levels (except maybe my Marz 66, which was close). That includes Marz, Rock Shox, and Fox. Or, if it is under warranty (some ebay purchases include the warranty), you can send it back to Fox. Those problems for a new fork are not acceptable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Sorry. I just read ebay, so went with used. I need to improve my reading skills.

But, even if new, you are right DOL. The factory may not have put in the correct oil levels. I would check that first. ALMOST EVERY fork I have bought new did not have the correct oil volume/levels (except maybe my Marz 66, which was close). That includes Marz, Rock Shox, and Fox. Or, if it is under warranty (some ebay purchases include the warranty), you can send it back to Fox. Those problems for a new fork are not acceptable.

Good luck.
This. Rebuild it and make sure the oil levels are to spec...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Agree with overhaul the fork.

Fox's QC stinks. Check the oil levels. Make sure that the damper cartridge is bled. You can also experiment with spring progressivity by increasing the amount of oil used on the spring side.

There might be issues with the compression damping. If you're jacking up the LSC & nothing's happening, that would indicate a problem. If you can't take apart the damper side, send the fork off to be worked on (push, suspension experts, etc.).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to get in touch with the seller first to see if he will accept them back for service/repair, If not iv got the rebuild manual from the fox website. Are they fairly stright forward to strip down? They don't seem too bad reading the manual...

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
It sounds like you have a defective fork.

I presume being new that they are 2013 or 2014 in which case they use the new air spring cartridge. If they have been tampered with to reduce the travel[ not from factory] there is a slim chance they may have got the wrong negative plate with the shuttle bumper or assembled it incorrectly giving you way to much negative spring tension .

You should get affective LSC after about 6 to 8 clicks and negative spring should neutralise about 55 psi. If you need more air pressure than that to overcome the negative spring and/ or LSC is not effective at 1/2 way then you have a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick update... Me and my mate decided to strip the fork down, we changed the shuttle bumper to make the fork 180mm and we took a quick look at the damper which is where we found the problem.
We emptied the oil contents from the bladder into a glass and measured 44ml, and he tells me it should be nearer 70ml?!
We refilled the fork with 10wt fox fluid and making sure all air bubbles were removed and now it feels amazing! I can really notice the LSC on descents now, and the rebound also feels much more controlled.

I’m happy! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts