Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last evening i repaired my focus super bud 2013 after some mud-racing broke my derailleur and "stole" a swingarm bolt (I pedalled this way 30km).
I realised that I bought the medium cage xt instead of long cage (stupidity one) and that I put only 20cc of oil in my fork legs instead of 30cc (stupidity two). taking into account that I intend to service it again after ~20 hours of cycling, could the 10cc (50% of recommended oil volume) difference damage something ? I read about fox forks exiting the factory without oil and today i'll have a busy day anyway... but the fork is a lot of money for me I do not want to risk....
any help/idea will be appreciated

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I don't think it'd be a major issue, just means you'd need to service much sooner, but honestly why have the worry, easy enough to just undo the bolts and top up the oil - no need to take the whole fork apart, just break the seal between the bolts and lowers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... easy enough to just undo the bolts and top up the oil ...
thank you both guys. the problem with toping up is that when I released the air from the fork some oil was also eliminated. I don t know if it was 2cc 5cc or 20cc. if I want to undo the bolt i'd have to first let the air go...

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
thank you both guys. the problem with toping up is that when I released the air from the fork some oil was also eliminated. I don t know if it was 2cc 5cc or 20cc. if I want to undo the bolt i'd have to first let the air go...
Float forks often transfer oil from the bushings to the air chamber. So likely the oil you lost from the air chamber shouldn't have been there anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts