Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

trying to service fox float 100 rlc for the first time, have a few questions

inner surface of the upper tubes is pretty rough, is it normal?

how do you know when it's time replace the bushings?

I found a couple of rings rattling in both upper tubes after cleaning them:
IMG_20140504_000644.jpg
where exactly are they coming from? I have a bad feeling that they sit at the very bottom and I'll have fun time putting them back

also notice this little o-ring on my finger. Found it on the floor after disassembly :-/ Any idea where it might be coming from?

thanks

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
inner surface of the upper tubes is pretty rough, is it normal?
With a coil fork, that is normal on the spring side. Yours being an air fork, I would say no. I've never seen noticeable wear marks on the inside the stanchions on air forks.

how do you know when it's time replace the bushings?
If you have knocking almost mimicking a loose headset, the bushings are due for replacement. You can check this by pulling the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth with your fingers placed around the stanchions where they enter the lowers.

where exactly are they coming from? I have a bad feeling that they sit at the very bottom and I'll have fun time putting them back

also notice this little o-ring on my finger. Found it on the floor after disassembly :-/ Any idea where it might be coming from?
The rubber bumpers do go in the bottom of the lowers. Can't pinpoint where that o-ring came from though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With a coil fork, that is normal on the spring side. Yours being an air fork, I would say no. I've never seen noticeable wear marks on the inside the stanchions on air forks.
ouch. I meant inner surface of the _lower_ tubes is rough.
Stanchions seem to be OK.

thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one more question: should I service the damper while I'm at it?
I don't know when it was serviced last time. Action seems to be smooth.

I tried to take it apart and I couldn't. I checked out a couple of guides and they all mention 13mm wrench for the seal head. Mine is 17mm:
IMG_20140504_194632.jpg
and it is very tight, soft plastic vice jaws you can see on the pic don't create enough grip to keep the base from rotating and manuals say not to tighten it too much..

So is it worth the trouble?
If yes: how to take it apart or should I just send it to fox? (fork is '04 fox float 100 rlc)

thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts