Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey
was wondering if annyone knows when you need to rebuild or change the oil in the fox float 100rl, doesnt have lockout and i bought the bike second hand with them on it and im not too sure when they were last serviced or what yr they are, thinking there around 2008-2009, they still have the old blue fox sticker, the ride fine but when they compress they make a sort of dry sound, i dont know how to expalin it, iv cleaned out the oil seals and re oiled the foam.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It would probably be good to do it now so you don't have to wonder. Change the seals too. Take a look at this video: How To Service a Fox Float fork - basic fork maintenance - Flow Mountain Bike - YouTube It's not that difficult if you have some experience on mechanical stuff. Check right amounts of oil from here: WebHelp

You can also type in the serial number of your fork to Fox website and check the year: Bike Help Center | FOX

If in doubt let the LBS sort it out for you.

EDIT: Change the float fluid in the air chamber too while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I second what ThaiMTB wrote. I want to point out that a lot of LBS's don't deal with rebuilding forks like you would assume they do. A lot of times they are about as clueless as you doing it for the first time following Fox's web service instructions. I would suggest you attempt it yourself or even send the fork back in to Fox. If you decide to have a local shop do it then make sure to ask around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that, appreciate it.

FOX Green 10 wt.
Damper-side oil bath 155.0 ml
Spring-side oil bath 20.0 ml

FOX Float Fluid
Air Chamber 5.0 ml

i dont understand whats what? are there 3 chambers? mine are i think 08 or 08 Fox float f100 r , there air and rebound only, what oils go into what side , sorry bout this im a noob.. cheers

·
Registered
263 Posts
The damper side is the right side-- 155ml.
The spring side (left side of course) has 2 "chambers". The lower needs 20ml, need to pour this in from the bottom so flip the fork over. The air chamber portion is on top & it takes a 5cc pillow pack of fox float fluid. Unscrew the left top cap that has the valve and pour it in. Do new seals & wipers since you wil already have it apart.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Remember to let the air out from the air chamber (by pressing the valve under a rag) before unscrewing the cap.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Just plan to give 3~4 hours for the first time, put on a grungy (because you'll get soaked with oil), print out fox instruction, have a can or two of beer, take your time and do it carefully. Every step would give you aha moment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers gents for all the info, seals and oil arrive tuesday, along with new pump, although im thinkig of buying some lager forks, mabey 150-160mm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts