Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fox Float 100 & Avid 203mm or 8" rotors ok???

I am in the market to buy a front disc setup for my santa cruz. Thinking of going with the avid mechanicals.
I have heard that there may be a problem running 8" rotors with an 04' Fox Float 100RLC.

Anyone out there using this setup sucessfully?

The reason I am asking is b/c I have a superlight with out rear disc tabs and want to upgrade the brakes by getting the biggest front rotor possible.
Discs brakes are sweet compared to v brakes...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Depends

You can run an 8" rotor, but if the disc brake tabs break, Fox will tell you that the warranty won't cover it.

Have you bought the fork yet? If not, buy the '05 model as that one is supposed to be designed to accept 8" rotors...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have purchased....

an 04' model already, actually just shifting forks around from my other bike...would you recommend running a smaller rotor to be on the safe side from breaking the fork tabs? Keep in Mind...(Parts last a long time with me, rarely do i break anything). Perhaps to to the next size on down 180/185mm i think its a 7.5" or something around there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nah.

I'd stick with regular XC sized ones to avoid dealing with broken parts. It's not that you'd break it from abuse. It's just that you'd be doing something that the fork wasn't designed to handle.

I have an 165 mm Avid up front and once it got broken in, it provides me with more than adequate stopping more.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I'll also add that the wave rotors Avid uses help dissipate heat very well so the 6" rotor actually works nearly as well as an 8". I believe they are being sued by Galfer for patent issues. I use Galfer rotors and have been VERY pleased with the wave design vs the junk Hayes rotors. I have 8" on my Intense M1 and 6" on my SC Blur. Trust me, you won't need 8" rotors on an XC bike like a Superlight.

G MAN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.