Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm thinking about a new fork for my 29er "raceish" XC bike...currently running a rigid fork and while it's fun and there's really nothing like riding it I think I may want to have some feeling in my hands left after some of the longer races/rides I'm planning this year. I'm looking at a Fox Float FIT, a Reba RLT and a Sid RCT3. Does anyone have experience with these forks to have some idea about how they ride in comparison with each other? The mitigating factors are that Float would be a 15TA while the others would be 9QR so it would require building up a new wheel, and that the Reba is about $150-200 cheaper than the other options.

Thanks!

·
I like bikes.
309 Posts
I actually just picked up an X-fusion Slide myself. It's a straight steerer w/15TA. I paid $300 shipped. It's a nice fork for the money. I was contemplating Reba vs X-fusion for some time and finally bit the bullet.
My biggest concern was that the Reba only came in 9mm drop outs for the straight steerer. I can def feel flex on the 9mm.
Sounds like you have a tapered steerer so you can go 20mm.

My suggestion is to get a 15mm at the min. The added flex you will feel with a suspension fork over a rigid while braking is going to be noticed. You def don't want the side/side flex while cornering. 9mm flex was very noticeable and I'm not even considered an expert, just in tune with my ride.

Only downside to the X-fusion is that it's 1/2lb heavier than the Reba

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I own all 3 and rct3 is night and day better than any FIT xc-ish fork. Fox forks ramp up too quick and rarely get full travel. RLT is nice but rct3 is arguably the best dampened option for your price range and needs.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,352 Posts
I own all 3 and rct3 is night and day better than any FIT xc-ish fork. Fox forks ramp up too quick and rarely get full travel. RLT is nice but rct3 is arguably the best dampened option for your price range and needs.
I'll echo what Westin said.

The RCT3 was the best damper of any Fox and RS XC forks I've tried.

·
I like bikes.
309 Posts
Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the RCT3 only comes in a Tapered tube.

Reba and a few select Floats come in straight steerer.

Here's my .02:
Fox is a little overpriced. Solid unit but kinda high pricewise and the seals generally leak. Unless you are a straight up diehard or use your bike in championships, there are cheaper alternatives.
Reba since 2013 is great bang for buck and has the prior years SID blackbox.
Reba comes in straight steerer but with 9mm drop outs only. The 20mm is reserved for tapered tubes.

Reba RL is the lightest option for a 100mm straight steerer tube. 3.5Lbs. Fox is slightly heavier(not by much). You can find a Brand New Reba RL 29" on Fleabay for $420 shipped or a new out of package(no pump) for just under $400. I was going to buy one but wanted to go to with 15mm axle so I went with X-fusion. It didnt come with a seal kit or pump, but for the price tag that was equal to a used Reba...cant go wrong.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it sounds like it's stiffness of the thruaxle of the fox vs the improved damper on the sid rct3... Is there something drastically different about the newer Fox FIT damper cartridge? I've got an 09 Float RL open bath on my AM bike, and it seems pretty plush although it does seem like it gets very progressive at the end of the stroke. I haven't actually used any modern Rockshox forks though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi! I have a 2015 Reba RL. Is this possible? What parts from RS do I need? TIA.
Should only need the damper and associated pieces for an oil change. I would talk with the LBS or rockshox since you would need to order from them anyway as I'm pretty sure no one stocks replacement dampers. There's a parts breakdown on sram/rockshox's website in the tech docs section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should only need the damper and associated pieces for an oil change. I would talk with the LBS or rockshox since you would need to order from them anyway as I'm pretty sure no one stocks replacement dampers. There's a parts breakdown on sram/rockshox's website in the tech docs section.
Cool! But the difficult part there is sourcing the dampers here in the Philippines. I saw a RockShox Moco-Dna Nr Damper 2014 Sid Rct3 at ebay, is that the part that I need?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts