Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been running mostly Terralogic technology on all my bikes since 2005. I simply like to be able to "set it and forget it"... stand up and pedal with no bob, but when you hit a bump the fork does the job.... all without forgetting to release a lock out.

For a video explanation on how the Terralogic (Inertia damper valve) works, go to my vieo HERE:

I was at a difficult delema when I got my TallBoy last year. They did not make a 29er 120mm Terralogic fork.... so I took my 2007 TL damper out of my 130mm Float 130X, added a custom 10mm spacer and I had a 29er TL cartrige at a full 120mm.

I have been running my custom little cartridge for about 9 months and was very happy... it did just what it was supposed to do and best of all, it was on my 29er :D

Along comes the new FIT series of dampers, including a new version of the Terralogic valving. I finally got my hands on just the damper... very hard to get since they want to put them all in complete forks just at the moment for some strange reason...

A very simple swap and in 10 minutes I was up and running again.

Some specifics: Old style "open bath" weighs 213g + 165cc oil = 345g
New FIT weighs 295g (with whatever amount of oil sealed in the bladder) + 30cc additional oil = 319g. So the FIT set-up is slightly lighter... but how does it perform?

The short of it is that starting from fully closed on the blue adjustment knob on the bottom, clicks 1-3... or maybe 4 give you decreasing amounts of pedal platform (1 the firmest). Starting at the 4th click all the way out to 14 clicks (15 total positions) gives you a "normally" functioning fork. It becomes plusher the more you open the adjustment and will bob more when you pedal.

The rebound adjustment (red knob on top) does just what it has always done - adjusts how fast the fork moves back after a hit. This will vary depending on what kind of bumps you ride, air pressure, your weight etc.

Small bumps: In the "Terralogic" mode (clicks 1-3), which is how I like it most of the time, and why I bought it, I would say that the small bump compliance is about the same or maybe even a tad more harsh (edited my opinion on this aspect after another 5 rides) than the original.

Big hits: Again in the TL mode big hits react about the same old vs new.

Where the FIT Terralogic shines: The best feature of the new FIT TL design is that you can go from a good solid pedal platform that still works as a great fork then you can also open up the valving and get a pretty plush ride, just as you'd expect from a Talas or Float fork with fair small bump compliance... the down side to that is you give up any and all pedal platform.

Overall I'd say, yes, this is an improvement because it's really like two forks in one. However if you are like me and prefer the solid feel of a pedal platform you will wish they had a few more adjustments in the "Terralogic mode". It would be nice to have say 5 clicks of actual pedal platform instead of only 3.

Bottom line: If you are a die hard Terralogic fan and already have one on your bike I don't know if I'd run right out and buy a new fork... but if you like the idea of a dual personality fork, then the new 2011 FIT Terralogic fork is definitely the ticket :thumbsup:

I hope this helps answer a few questions...

Cheers,

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CaveGiant said:
interesting, I like the 29er mod
I had a guy at a helicopter parts machine shop make a couple for me. The little 10mm tube lengthener allowed me to make my 130mm Fox Terralogic cartidge into a 140mm for a 26er... or a 120mm for my 29er :thumbsup:

Don't ask, my brother already has the other one! :D

Since then the guy has not been willing to make any more :mad:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yogiprophet said:
So, are you saying that when you stand up and hammer the new Fit TL is bobbing a little?

Thanks for the great posts :)
In clicks #1 and #2 out, no, it is firm, #3 moves a bit (the position I use most all around) and #4 click out starts into "regular" fork mode by click #5 definitely in regular fork mode and gets softer (bouncier) from there... then you need to start dialing in some more rebound at that point.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have a 120mm 26er on order and what you say about only 3 clicks of Logic seems ridiculous. I mean it's a Terralogic fork so I would think you should have at least half of the adjustability if not even more in Terralogic mode then if you really wish you hadn't bought the feature you could tune it out in the most extreme adjustment.

Usually I'm all about completely open forks and shocks with no stable platform but I just started riding SS and for the first time in my life (unless I was on pavement) I started locking out my fork partially or fully on climbs because I'm standing up most of the time, which I haven't been doing much at all since I abandoned rigid 15 years ago. So I was hoping Terralogic would live up to it's claims of being totally compliant on small stuff and still lock out pedal induced compression so I wouldn't have to lock and unlock. It sounds like it kind of works but maybe needs a few more years of development to be 100% and maybe I should have bought a fork with a remote lockout.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
modifier said:
It sounds like it kind of works but maybe needs a few more years of development to be 100% and maybe I should have bought a fork with a remote lockout.
I was just thinking a remote lockout might work really well for you. What fork did you buy? A lot of them can have a remote added.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It's a 32 F Series 120. I was really hoping for the set it and forget it mode.

My older Fox 125 has a progressive lockout on the top of the leg so I set it at different amounts of lockout depending on terrain. But I'm tired of reaching down to do it all the time. Do the new remote lockouts dial in or are they on or off? Can it be added to the F?

But then on second thought that defeats the whole idea of having Terralogic.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
modifier said:
what you say about only 3 clicks of Logic seems ridiculous.
I agree. I'm not doubting the OP's statement, but if indeed the TL feature is only in play on 3 of the 14 clicks, I don't see how the adjustment can be called a TL knob. Instead, it sounds like 3 clicks of TL and 11 steps of compression.

As I understand, the TL feature causes the fork to remain locked-out up to X amount of pressure, with more clicks meaning less pressure is needed for it to exit lock-out mode. I just assumed that most of the 14 clicks were capable of this lock-out mode. No?

If this is all true, I'm not really seeing a big advantage of TL over using a compression dial, especially considering that the compression dial is adjustable on the fly, whereas the TL is not.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
modifier said:
Thanks for the input. I have a 120mm 26er on order and what you say about only 3 clicks of Logic seems ridiculous.
To clarify, I didn't mean that you sound ridiculous but that if 3 clicks is the way it is then Fox is being ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ryder1 said:
As I understand, the TL feature causes the fork to remain locked-out up to X amount of pressure, with more clicks meaning less pressure is needed for it to exit lock-out mode. I just assumed that most of the 14 clicks were capable of this lock-out mode. No?
It is not the downward pressure that makes the inertia valve active, it is the act of hitting a bump and the inertia valve gets "bumped" up off the oil flow ports and the fork then moves. In the original version you can hear a slight clicking as the inertia valve gets slapped open...

The pedal platform is is only about the first 3-4 clicks... then it become like a regular damper... without a lock out...

I agree with modifier's statement and I think I mentioned it in my review: If the Terralogic valving is the selling point of this fork the TL feature should be tunable at least half way through the adjustments. I believe this valving was specifically designed for the set-it and forget-it racer. If you want a really plush fork this is not it (old or new version).

I am going to try 7wt and possibly even 5 wt oil (it comes with 10wt) and see how the small bump compliance does, as well as the pedal platform.

·
Registered
144 Posts
bad mechanic said:
This is why I love this site.
I second this emotion^^^^^^^^^^
I am putting a TL on my new 29er HT/SS and this information is part of what I based my decision upon. Having access to other CactusJS's and other's experiences are more valuable than walking into my LBS a lot of the time.

Thanks for the write up, CJS!

For the record, I agree that the TL mode having only 3-4 clicks seems like a small adjustment range for the TL feature, but I do wonder (not being a suspension engineer myself) just how adjustable a mechanical feature such as TL can be without adding a microchip/sensor to activate the opening of the gate?

Barry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the great write-up. I have had the F29 100 terralogic installed for a few weeks. Far from broken in due to the white fluffy stuff out there. Anyway, my take on the adjustability and lock-out portion: It seems to me that the first three clicks in the firm setting, as said, have little variation. The fourth through sixth seem to have decent variation between clicks. The fourth click is a big jump from the third. I did notice that in the firmest setting, it is not completely locked out like the RLC would lock out when firmed up. I believe this is a good thing because it allows the fork to sag in the amount you set the sag too. When pounding the pedals in full firm, it is not completely locked out and moves slightly. What I mean by slightly is maybe ¼” or less. So, the pedal platform is very good but not a rigid fork.

This is my limited experience with it and maybe these forks vary slightly due to oil levels from the factory?

Pap

1 - 20 of 35 Posts