Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between these two forks for my upcoming custom build. The bike will be ran mostly as SS, but it probably will see a little time as 1x5,6,9 or 10.

I know the Terralogic is a great SS platform fork and the RLC can be locked out on climbs, so I know what I'm looking at there. However I'm curious which fork has the best small bump compliance. I've mostly been a set it and forget about kind of guy, so I don't like to be constantly switching things around on the fork.

So basically I'm curious if the Terralogic has good small bump compliance in the 3 click Terralogic platform range or do you have to get away from the platform to get into good small bump compliance? Or would it be better just to run the RLC and lock it out on climbs?

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
The terralogic will be slightly more efficient in out-of-the-saddle riding.

The RLC will be cheaper, have one less thing to go wrong, is probably a few grams lighter, and it must have better small-bump compliance (otherwise, why would the Terralogic be adjustable).

I sit & spin, and I don't race, so I picked the RLC. If you like to stand and hammer a lot (like single speeders), or race, the Terralogic might make sense.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Interesting write up here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=675005&highlight=terralogic

Doesn't answer the question between the two, but has a few owners of the TL weighing in on small bump compliance. I would think the RLC would have the better small bump compliance, but everything is a trade-off. I have a TL due to be delivered on Tuesday. My thinking is that running tubeless and 29 should help with small bump compliance and the TL will be best for my riding style--I ride SS and mash. YMMV.

Barry

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I was interested in both as well. However I've come to the conclusion that ultimate plushness is most important to me. Also I never increase the compression adj on my current RLC. Whenever I've tried 2-3 clicks I don't notice much of a difference but always want to turn it back off. I find I just use the lockout although I do forget to turn it on or off sometimes.

All the Terralogic reviews says opening the adjuster all the way is how you get the most plushness from the fork so it must not be as plush in the Terralogic range. I'm sure this is a great race fork, racers want effiecient, I want plush.

If the adjuster were on top of the fork I'd give it a try but it's on the bottom so if you are running it open and plush you can't lock it out while riding.
I'm sticking with a conventional lock-out for climbing on my SS.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I 've just recently got both a 2011 F29 100RLC FIT and a 2009 F29 RP24 RLC [Gary Fisher OEM].
The platform on the RP24 is the best I have ever come across.It only has 4 settings. I run on lowest platform and it is nice and firm out of the saddle but when you hit anything rough you wouldn't know it was on.It doesn't spike on the big stuff like some other forks i have used. I can set it on platform and ride a whole race without needing to fiddle with it. The Ride without platform on on this fork ,is however, much firmer than the my 2011 RLC. It is much more progressive and the low speed compression at it's lowest still feels too much for my taste. I'll change to a lighter oil and check the oil levels should free it up.

The Std RLC FIT, which may or my not by custom valved for my Giant, feels far to stiff with platform on. Even at the lowest setting it might as well be a lockout. I don't like it at all. However, the feel of the fork out of the box, without platform, is much better than the 09 RP24. More linear and the low speed compression dials in nicely to firm up the ride as reqd.

It's a pity Fox don't adopt the Gary Fisher RP24 platform on all their forks. It's a brilliant set and forget set up.I've never ridden terralogic but it must be even better.

I don't even bother using it on my std RLC . I can't be bothered turning it on and off all the time without a remote

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.