Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LDC is ded,deth by trollz
2,147 Posts

·
LDC is ded,deth by trollz
2,147 Posts
Chupacabra on 29+ 45mm scrapers. What are you thinking of using it for?
Thank you. It would be 29+ and a similar setup to you on a SS.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my height and weight are also a factor here (6'5" and 230 lbs). I'm definitely causing a lot more flex than a lot of the other people who are using that combination successfully.

·
bipedal
733 Posts
torosc -

Are you sure it's the fork flexing and not the wheels? If the wheels are a factor you can get stiffer rims (perhaps carbon) and have the wheels built stronger (hand built, perhaps with more spokes).

You can also gain vertical clearance by adding spacers to the air side to make the travel more progressive and prevent top out if you're willing to give up a bit of travel. You can also switch to a 150mm airshaft for added vertical clearance if you don't mind the small change in geometry.

All that said, a guy your size may need a 36mm fork and a stiffer wheel. Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
torosc -

Are you sure it's the fork flexing and not the wheels? If the wheels are a factor you can get stiffer rims (perhaps carbon) and have the wheels built stronger (hand built, perhaps with more spokes).

You can also gain vertical clearance by adding spacers to the air side to make the travel more progressive and prevent top out if you're willing to give up a bit of travel. You can also switch to a 150mm airshaft for added vertical clearance if you don't mind the small change in geometry.

All that said, a guy your size may need a 36mm fork and a stiffer wheel. Good luck.
Agreed. I was referring to the whole front end flex, and you're right, it's probably mostly the wheels. There are definitely ways to make it work, but I feel like it would work a lot better under someone who either won't strain it as much, or who will stick to 27.5+ setups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts