Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Loose bushing

I don't know if they are warrantied or not but they all seem to have loose bushings. Check yours carefully before you buy it. Have it fully mounted on a bike, grab the front brake and rock the bike front to back. If you see movement between the top and bottom slider or if it feels like a loose headset, it's a bad one. Have it fixed before you buy it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gfrench said:
I don't know if they are warrantied or not but they all seem to have loose bushings. Check yours carefully before you buy it. Have it fully mounted on a bike, grab the front brake and rock the bike front to back. If you see movement between the top and bottom slider or if it feels like a loose headset, it's a bad one. Have it fixed before you buy it.
thanks i will check it before I take the bike.

Thanks

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
gfrench said:
Oh no, that's a design feature called "Hydrodrynamic Lubrication". Fox designed that intentionally into their forks. Don't believe me? Look it up in the manual.

Essentially, there is a tiny gap between the bushings and stanchions, which, when the fork is cycling up and down, fills the gap with oil to create a thin film of lubrication. When the bike is stationary and you lock the brakes and rock it, you'll feel the gap because there is no oil between the bushing and stanchions. Sounds good in theory, right?

Unfortunately, on my F80X, I could feel the knocking while riding and it was terrible...felt like a continuously loose headset. I sent it back to the authorized Fox repair center in Canada (VeloTech) and they warrantied it...now, buttery smooth. BTW, it was also warrantied for a dead TerraLogic cartridge (which was replaced). But, they also replaced the entire steerer/crown/stanchion assembly because it was creaking, which I never noticed.

So, if Fox calls this a design feature, I find it odd that this *feature* was not present on my F100X...it's been smooth since Day 1.

A friend of mine recently bought a F80RLT and he had to remove the lock-out cap so that it could clear his downtube on his Large Norco EXC1.0HT hardtail. Now, this is a BIG frame. I had the same issue with my F80RLT on my 14.5" Ti HT, but my frame is small and I foresee probs. I sold the fork and went with the F80X (which is much lower). This was 3-yrs ago and I called/emailed Fox about the prob...never heard anything back.

Now, 3-yrs later, it's still a prob. My buddy is pissed (he didn't know about the prob until after he cut the steerer tube....ouch!), so he's now riding his F80RLT without the lockout dial, which leaves the fork-top open (I'm really concerned about that because crap can get inside the fork), but he can't really do much else.

Anyway, long story short, I'm done with Fox Forx. I bought into the hype and really haven't found them to be all that.

Stiff? Yes!
Reliable? Not really.
Seals? Leak like Exxon Valdez.
Customer service? Ya, right! If it weren't for VeloTech, I'd still be stuck with a dud...despite numerous emails and calls, none were returned from Fox USA.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
KleinAttitude said:
Hi my local dealer are selling bossless f100,s. Are the warranties void on these?. I have heard from other bike shops that these should be kept well clear off.

Thanks
The bossless Fox's used to be OEMs, so check to see if it is an OEM. If so, you might have more of a problem with warranties since the fork was meant to be sold with a frame/bike. I've got 2 bossless Foxs (F80X and F100X) and I've had issues with the F80X, which required warranty, but I never had any probs with it being an OEM. My F100X has been fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unfortunately, on my F80X, I could feel the knocking while riding and it was terrible...felt like a continuously loose headset.

This is exactly what I feel in my F100. Hopefully they will fix it right.

Thanks

Guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.