Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody have any thoughts regarding the differences between these two forks? The fox are a little bit lighter and quite a bit more expensive.

The fox RLC has adjustable lockout. The Rock Shox website says the Reba has "low speed compression to 'Lock' external floodgate". Does that mean you can you adjust the low speed compression all the way from one extreme to complete lockout? Is this similar to how the Fox shock works?

Are the Fox forks flexier than the Reba?

thanks in advance for any feedback,

:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's a no brainer

morkys said:
Anybody have any thoughts regarding the differences between these two forks? The fox are a little bit lighter and quite a bit more expensive.

The fox RLC has adjustable lockout. The Rock Shox website says the Reba has "low speed compression to 'Lock' external floodgate". Does that mean you can you adjust the low speed compression all the way from one extreme to complete lockout? Is this similar to how the Fox shock works?

Are the Fox forks flexier than the Reba?

thanks in advance for any feedback,

:)
if the Reba is much cheaper get the Reba if they are about the same money get the Fox.

I've got a 2 year old Reba Race 100mm on my bike now, before that I had a 2004 RLT 80 the Fox was nice real nice but never nearly as nice as the later model 100mm Reba.
I can only imagine what a 2008 or 2009 Fox fork would do for my riding.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the other issue is that the Reba is a couple mm longer than the Fox. I know, it's practically nothing, but I'm trying to squeeze every last bit of steeper head angle out of whatever bike I ride.

Can you take a Fox F100 RLC and reduce it to 90 mm or 80 mm travel?

·
Registered
761 Posts
you can reduce the fox's and the reba's travel, the reba's dual air is an advantage over the fox's air spring and the motion control with external floodgate is pretty nice. I would be happy with either as I have a rev (big reba)on my son's bike and have ran the f100 and talas on mine.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So what makes the Reba 'dual-air' better than the Fox? What exactly is 'motion control' ? I know they both have rebound and low speed compression dampening. Is 'motion control' a separate feature/function/adjustment, or is it just a name for their technology for the dampening?

I notice you can make the Reba 85 mm and there are specs out there for F90's so I wonder if you can make the F100 RLC into a 90 mm travel fork, not just an 80 or 100 (or 120)?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pricing has them within $200 (Reba Team vs RLC). Reba race is $300 less. I want the lighter weight and I like the prospect of a possibly shorter fork, so....I've ordered a 32 F100 RLC.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
morkys said:
So what makes the Reba 'dual-air' better than the Fox? What exactly is 'motion control' ? I know they both have rebound and low speed compression dampening. Is 'motion control' a separate feature/function/adjustment, or is it just a name for their technology for the dampening?

I notice you can make the Reba 85 mm and there are specs out there for F90's so I wonder if you can make the F100 RLC into a 90 mm travel fork, not just an 80 or 100 (or 120)?
Yes, its pretty easy. Call Fox as they have spacers that allow you to take it (down), to what ever you want. My 09 is set at 90mm. Took me about 20 minutes, (while drinking a couple of 90 minute IPA's). Make sure you have the proper susp oil, a new crush washer, and a pillow pack of float fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
imho the reba is the better choice, because Fox refactored the F series completely in 2008.

Since this year the F-series work with less pressure but more compression what caused real difficulties for me to find an acceptable setup. According to Fox I'm riding a setup for a rider with about 40-50lbs less than I actually weigh, but a harder setup would do serious damage to my wrists. but I'm not happy about the 30% SAG anyway :madmax:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm....well, I'm surprised there are so many comments against the Fox fork in here, but in a way, that's ok, because it's more realistic. Frankly, I am willing to tune the fork to meet my needs. I am only 175 LBS. A somewhat harder ride is ok with me, within reason. I ordered the 2009 fork, so I may have to wait a while. That kind of sucks. The 09 fork is not available in large quantities yet and so I may have to wait until August to fit my bike. In the meantime I have a earlier Duke U-turn that I've just had re-built, so that'll have to do while I wait for the 09 Fox. Maybe I'll win the lottery and buy a Reba too and switch back and forth and write up long-winded reviews about their performance....or, now that I've chosen th 09 Fox F100 I'll just ride more and type a little less.... :p Perhaps there will be an improvement over the 08's.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'd think the 09 fork you'd want to measure the Fox against would be the new SID, not the Reba.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.