Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Monocog Masher
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fox F100 RLC 29 or Fox F29 RL

What is the real difference between these two forks? Will I notice a difference in performance?

What about the Fox RP2 vs. the Fox RP23. I know the difference is the the RP23 has a 'boost' valve and three position propedal switch, but will I notice a difference.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
"What is the real difference between these two forks? Will I notice a difference in performance?"

Yes you will notice a difference in performance. The difference is the C in RLC (rebound, lockout, compression), adjustable compression damping. The RL is non adjustable. A compression damping circuit in a fork allows you to control how the fork compresses to an extent. It can allow you to fine tune the spring rate so that the fork feels the way you want, gets full travel, etc. Once this is done the compression damper is used to fine tune the stoke, i.e. dial out brake dive etc. With non adjustable compression damping or no compression damping circuit you must use spring rate to dial the compression stroke in. This usually leads to a fork that is to firm and does not react well to small braking or chatter bumps, or if you do set it up to work well on small hits, it is to soft and bottoms out to easily. Adjustable compression damping can be a big plus.

"What about the Fox RP2 vs. the Fox RP23. I know the difference is the the RP23 has a 'boost' valve and three position propedal switch, but will I notice a difference."

Again, yes you will notice a performance difference. The first being the boost valve. This is basically a position sensitive valve that give less compression damping at the first part of the shock stoke, but increases it to the maximum that you have the damper set to near the end of the stoke. This allows the shock to remain supple and active over braking bumps, trail chatter and square edged hits, but resist bottoming out well. The 2 and 23 of the RP series of shocks refers to the platform or "propedal" adjustments that are available. The RP2 has two positions for propedal, on and off and that's it. You are stuck with what the manufacturer feels is the right propedal setting. With the RP23 you have the on/off feature (the 2) plus 3 different settings for the damping curve itself, soft, medium, and firm. Propedal is basically a low speed compression damping circuit that is designed to lessen or eliminate low frequency pedal induced suspension motion when the switch is in the on position. The RP23 gives you the three positions as mentioned above to allow you to better tune the propedal to your bike, pedaling style, etc. If you don't use propedal you won't notice any difference in that respect though.

Anyway, your call. The RL and RLC are both nice forks, and the RP2 and RP23 are both good shocks. The difference in both is adjustability. The RLC and RP23 being more adjustable and the RP23 boost valve. The additional adjustments simply make it easier to tune the fork an shock to your needs.

Good Dirt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.