Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a fox f100rl that i'm trying to do a fluid chnge on. i cannot get the 2mm fixing bolt off, for rebound knob removal. the fork has been into fox for warranty work (bad lowers) about 18 months ago. i'm wondering if either the wrong loctite ended up on the bolt, or nothing at all (galvanic action). i've got all the fluid change supplies already bought, so i'd rather not send it into fox for $150. i have tried the following:

propane torch
soldering iron tip
freeze/heat cycles
hair dryer

tapping with deadblow, tapping metal-on-metal
i'm getting very close to stripping the allen head at this point. i have been doing all this while the rebound knob is mid-cycle, so as not to put undue stress on the internals. i'm going to try pb blaster next, but i doubt it'll end up on the actual threads, as everything is blind.

i have called fox twice.

any ideas, run 'em up the flagpole.

·
Doctor
264 Posts
First time I serviced my Float forx, that screw was very tight, as well.

How are you holding onto the knob? I had to use a pair of curved-jaw needlenose pliers. This gave me enough of a hold to be able to loosen the allen screw. I had to apply a large amount of torque, but it did not strip. It did leave a couple of small marks on the knob.

Good luck.

(when I reassembled, I used a bit of loctite and tightened that allen screw very lightly)

jeff

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fubar'ed. ended up stripping the screw head. micro bolt extractor from sears didn't work, the bolt was too hard to drill the pilot hole into. ended up cutting off the majority of the rebound knob off with a dremel. excavated the remaining aluminum from around the head of the screw. one visegrip on the screw head, one visegrip on the wrench flats of the rebound shaft=off, finally. grade A cluster****. new knob and screw from fox direct is going to be 20 total (shipping, too).

in the end, the dampening fluid looked fine. what a waste of goddamn time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.