Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm readjusting suspension on my Giant Trance X 29 2. I've lost 20lbs and was readjusting due to that. Fork was easy to set sag although I'm running a bit lower psi than fox recommends but I'm right on at 25mm of sag (22-30mm recommend by fox). I just removed 2 of the 3 volume spacers also.

The issue is that on the rear Fox DPS shock Giant recommends 12mm of sag, and Fox recommends 14-17mm (25-30%) of sag.

I'm struggling to get consistent sag as I alter pressure.

When I first got the bike I had 200lbs in the shock to get 12mm of sag when I weighed 190.

Now I'm down to 170lbs and readjusting the shock pressure and dropped it all the way to 160lbs to get 12 mm of sag. I kept dropping 10psi at a time and wouldn't see much difference in sag.
I had compression and rebound fully open while adjusting.

I was a little surprised by how much pressure I had to drop to get sag to the minimum amount recommend.

Anyone have any advice or see anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Don't worry about sag measurements, it's really not that important. Just drop a few psi then ride and adjust from there.

Aiming for a specific number of mm of sag while you're sitting on your bike in your shed is not going to improve your ride. Manufacturer sag recommendation is more like a guide to check against. If you are way outside the recommendation then probably something is wrong with your setup. If you're in the ballpark then set it up to work for you, not to satisfy your owners manual.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't worry about sag measurements, it's really not that important. Just drop a few psi then ride and adjust from there.

Aiming for a specific number of mm of sag while you're sitting on your bike in your shed is not going to improve your ride. Manufacturer sag recommendation is more like a guide to check against. If you are way outside the recommendation then probably something is wrong with your setup. If you're in the ballpark then set it up to work for you, not to satisfy your owners manual.
Agreed, but Sag is the starting point. I'll adjust from there.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've had this happen to me before. Slowly let all the air out of the shock, when it is empty, hold the rear wheel down and tug the top tube up to get all the air out of the negative chamber. You should feel it top out. Then, refill the shock 50PSI at a time. Every 50 PSI, remove the pump and cycle the shock 10 to 15 times to at least 30% of its travel. That should solve the issue. From experience with my Trance 29, Giants seem to work best with a little less sag, so try for the 12mm as a starting point and adjust from there

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.