Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i recently bought a used fox dhx2 factory to put on my 2017 intense tracer. Once set to base settings, or even with much lighter compression and slower rebound than i would run, the rear end of the bike still bounces off the ground 1-2 times when dropping it on the ground. All other bikes i have seen with a coil shock passed this test easily. I have not yet gotten to ride the bike with the new shock, so this is mostly out of curiosity. I am running a 400lb spring, giving me at 60kg around 28% sag. I had around 20 psi in the tires, which is slightly lower than what i would normally run.

Could provide some video if needed

Thanks!

·
Registered
751 Posts
back off all LSC and HSC, then it wont bounce back. This shock is pretty stiff damped on compression. I got vivid coil which felt like jackhammer, but passes drop test. After removing some shims vivid started to soaks up properly all objects. I bet all shocks passes drop test got LSC backed off completely :)

PS drop test doesnt prove anything. Im couris if avy tuned shock bounce back or soaks up the drop test.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
So 60kg is 132 pounds about? You've got 165mm of travel.... You need a lighter spring. Like 300-325. 350 might work, it'll work better than your 400 but I'm thinking that still might be a little too much.

And yes the drop test is meaningless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried running 0 compression both low and high, still bounced hehe. I do agree that it is probably a useless test, as it does not take into account rider weight, suspension setup preference or bike weight for that matter. It is just something i have found in all bikes with coil shocks i have felt.

I suspect it might be that my shock could use a service. The guy i bought it from said it was about halfway to the next service (75 hrs), but it makes more noise than i would have expected.

Erlend

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Its a completely misleading test, there are plenty of coil shocks that will bounce and air shocks that dont bounce too. It has more to do with spring rate vs sprung vs. unsprung ratio, leverage rate, tyre damping and friction

While satisfying, I wouldn't read anything in to it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.