Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to fine tune my Fox DHX on an Uzzi VPX and was wondering what settings everyone else runs for downhill type stuff. Post your settings; here's mine:

Weight: 165lbs
Boost Valve pressure (all the way out): 140psi
Bottom out control setting: 2nd line (turned in after psi is set)
Rebound: 4 clicks from full fast
Sag: around 35% (7.75" measured eye to eye)

·
Registered
47 Posts
weight: 205 lbs
Boost Valve pressure (all the way out): 200 psi
Bottom out control setting: 2nd line (turned in after psi is set)
Rebound: 4 clicks from full fast
Sag: around 35% (7.75" measured eye to eye)

thats mine. with 200psi in BoostValve the Mid-stroke feeling is very nice when manualing and compression is firm (like my Dh- setup)...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think you may be a touch oversprung. I spend a day at Whistler swapping between 425, 450 and 475 and a Shock Tech. At 185 lbs, the 425 felt the best.

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interestingly enough, when I bought my bike, they asked for my weight and I spoke with Intense about it (at the time). They suggested a 500# when I was 180lbs geared up. I went down to a 450# and I occasionaly have harsh bottom out with the above settings (with no propedal).

I don't go huge - anything over an 6-8' drop, I develop a fear of heights (or maybe a fear of crashing). I do ride pretty fast though and AZ is VERY rocky and bouldery (new word).

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have a 400 - 2.8, and to get a proper sag, i need 4-5 turn preload, witch is way too mutch. I f i try one turn preload, i am at 45% sag.... I think i will get a 450 soon.

By the way did any of you ever mesure their travel, UZZI VPX should have 7.75'' of travel, i only have 7''. is this normal?

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you measure that? I know the shock stroke it 2.5" but if you just took your spring off and tried it, you wouldn't be able to compress 2.5" to get full travel by hand. The bottom out bumper on the shock shaft eats about 3/4" of the 2.5" shock stroke. I imagine for anyone to actually get full travel on any coild shock bike you'd really have to bottom out hard to compress that bumper all the way flat.

I look at mine and I can see dust marks on it from hard hits and the most I've ever seen it squeeze down to is about half. Maybe the Push rebuild with the new bumper makes an improvemenr on this?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I measured the travel with the shock out when I first got mine. It is 7". At first I felt a bit ripped off but I ride mine pretty soft and I seldom bottom out. I think it would be 7.75 with a 2.75" stroke shock. Maybe the original prototype was speced this way and they forgot to change the marketing. Either way no matter, 7" does the job pretty well.

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just measured mine and it's 7" too! Maybe they are counting some horizontal movement with the vertical for a combined travel...Marketing at it's best. OK, back to the original post - Pipe and Doumbogey, what are your rear shock settings? How much do you weigh?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Weight: 187lbs
Boost Valve pressure: Minimum recommended but can't remember what that was and I haven't checked it for a few years so thanks for the reminder to do that.
Bottom out control setting: All the way out
Rebound: 5 clicks from slow (Oscillates just a little when riding off of a curb)
Sag: Around 38% from memory
Spring: 400

I bottom out very rarely and then it is usually during a high speed g-out. I very rarely drop to flat so tend to get away with being slightly under sprung. I could always add some bottom out resistance but don't really feel the need.

I would have thought you could get away with a 400 also dave depending on your riding style. Bare in mind though that springs can vary up to 25 lb or so due to manufacturing tolerances. So you may be on a lightish 450 and I may be on a heavish 400. At least that is what I have read on the interweb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts