Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

My zocchi roco gave up the ghost Saturday (mounted to a 2008 Highline) while doing some DH riding at Seven Springs in Pennsylvania. Oil erupted out the rebound adjuster & all over the frame, thankfully missing the brake rotors. I've been kicking around the idea of replacing it with a 2011 8.5x2.5 Fox DHX RC4 & rebuilding the roco for a spare.

Can someone - someone who has some significant time aboard one - give me their opinion of this shock? I'm a little concerned that the "boost valve" is just some flow restrictor like a platform & not sure I want that. I don't really have the dough for a CCDB or Avy right now so neither of those are on the table. I tend to use the highline for park/DH riding btw.

Cheers,
B-Mac

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
Howdy!

My zocchi roco gave up the ghost Saturday (mounted to a 2008 Highline) while doing some DH riding at Seven Springs in Pennsylvania. Oil erupted out the rebound adjuster & all over the frame, thankfully missing the brake rotors. I've been kicking around the idea of replacing it with a 2011 8.5x2.5 Fox DHX RC4 & rebuilding the roco for a spare.

Can someone - someone who has some significant time aboard one - give me their opinion of this shock? I'm a little concerned that the "boost valve" is just some flow restrictor like a platform & not sure I want that. I don't really have the dough for a CCDB or Avy right now so neither of those are on the table. I tend to use the highline for park/DH riding btw.

Cheers,
B-Mac
I found the RC4 to be a step up from the DHX on the Highline, but really perfered the feel of an Elka. The RC4 is less choked up than a DHX, but still has some of that harsh feel.
The Elka provided the best belnd of super plush decending and traction while still pedaling decently.
Unless you are getting a really good deal on a RC4 the Elka shouldn't cost any more.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the RC4 to be a step up from the DHX on the Highline, but really perfered the feel of an Elka. The RC4 is less choked up than a DHX, but still has some of that harsh feel.
The Elka provided the best belnd of super plush decending and traction while still pedaling decently.
Unless you are getting a really good deal on a RC4 the Elka shouldn't cost any more.
Consider the Vivid, I've been really pleased with one on my Highline since I changed from the DHX.
I'll take a look at both of these shocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.