Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Scary Mc said:
Charles, Larry, is new Fox DHX compatible w/ the X-5?
I got them in last week to check. Tried it on a medium and it's not looking good unfortunately. The valve on the end of the external reservoir may hit the downtube on full compression. With the blue adjuster on the end of the reservoir turned all the way in, there's a couple mm clearance at what I "think" is full compression, but I may not be getting quite full compression of the bottom out bumper when doing it by hand (though I'm feeling a pretty firm bottom out so I think it's very close). With that adjuster out the reservoir is even longer and will definitley hit on the medium:( The shock is very tuneable, so you could set it up with a lot of ramp up at the end of the stroke, but I don't think I'd want to risk it as the result of a hard bottom-out could be serious frame damage. Maybe the large will have a couple mm more clearance I hope. I'm doing some checking around to see if I can find a lower profile valve (a short 90deg valve would be perfect, but don't know if anybody makes one). I have a friend who deals with a lot of industrial supply companies checking into it. I know Stratos used to do one, but not sure if it would fit the Fox. If I could gain even a couple more mm with a different vavle, I'd be comfortable putting it on there. Doesn't look like it will fit my Bruja either way, as there's even less clearance on that, which is a bummer because I think this shock will blow away everything else on the market for 05'.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Larry. I'd be willing to 'try' one out on my large. You know, for the sake of science..... :D

You don't stock Romic bushings do you? I ordered some from Romic the other day and they sent me shock spacers instead..... :rolleyes:

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Scary Mc said:
Thanks Larry. I'd be willing to 'try' one out on my large. You know, for the sake of science..... :D

You don't stock Romic bushings do you? I ordered some from Romic the other day and they sent me shock spacers instead..... :rolleyes:
Yeah, I have bushings in stock.
Larry

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Actually I'm online for a bit this morning. Can't function without my morning coffee and the coffee shop also has net access. A little rainy this morning anyway, so not at the beach yet:)

I haven't tried it on the large X-5, but I did send one to somebody who has a large so he can check the fit. I'll update as soon as I hear from him on that. It actually does fit on the large Saltamontes, with room to spare. Haven't tried it on a medium Salty yet, but from the amount of clearance on the large, I'm guessing that there's a good chance it may work.
Larry Mettler

·
Registered
136 Posts
DHX campatible

Ventanarama said:
Actually I'm online for a bit this morning. Can't function without my morning coffee and the coffee shop also has net access. A little rainy this morning anyway, so not at the beach yet:)

I haven't tried it on the large X-5, but I did send one to somebody who has a large so he can check the fit. I'll update as soon as I hear from him on that. It actually does fit on the large Saltamontes, with room to spare. Haven't tried it on a medium Salty yet, but from the amount of clearance on the large, I'm guessing that there's a good chance it may work.
Larry Mettler
That would be me who he is referring to. This is a large X-5. Took a couple of pics with spring removed and me sitting on the bike to compress down. Pics are a little blurry but the best I could do considering I was taking the pics myself. All the rave reviews in the other boards about this shock are true. I am amazed at how well it handles. Almost no bob on the climbs and so plush through the rough stuff. Definitely recommend this shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
that's great news. What shock length x stroke is that shock and are you running the same spring rate (assuming you were running a romic)?

thanks,

-Sp

antman said:
That would be me who he is referring to. This is a large X-5. Took a couple of pics with spring removed and me sitting on the bike to compress down. Pics are a little blurry but the best I could do considering I was taking the pics myself. All the rave reviews in the other boards about this shock are true. I am amazed at how well it handles. Almost no bob on the climbs and so plush through the rough stuff. Definitely recommend this shock.

·
Registered
136 Posts
DHX springs

I have the 6" rockers. The DHX is 7.875 x 2.00. The spring weight is 600 on both the DHX and Romic. I am about 210 fully geared. I originally had a 500 spring (8.0x2.25) on the Romic and then switched to the 600 for a couple of rides before switching to the DHX. The 600 decreased the amount of sag on the Romic compared to the 500, but as I think I mentioned in the previous post that my compression adjuster didn't change the ride whether fully in or out. So now I can send the Romic in and have it around for back up. Now it is just a matter of getting the DHX dialed in perfectly for my riding.

·
mtbjohn
24 Posts
antman said:
I have the 6" rockers. The DHX is 7.875 x 2.00. The spring weight is 600 on both the DHX and Romic. I am about 210 fully geared. I originally had a 500 spring (8.0x2.25) on the Romic and then switched to the 600 for a couple of rides before switching to the DHX. The 600 decreased the amount of sag on the Romic compared to the 500, but as I think I mentioned in the previous post that my compression adjuster didn't change the ride whether fully in or out. So now I can send the Romic in and have it around for back up. Now it is just a matter of getting the DHX dialed in perfectly for my riding.
Thanks. I'm also about 210 geared, and have a 500# on my Romic. My compression adjuster has worked great, but I've dumped my oil twice now (after 8 months of use). So I need a backup. I'm going to try an RP3, but will likely get a DHX in the relatively near future. Did you consider the DHX in 7.875 x 2.25? Or just picked up the 7.875 x 2 to have a different setup (travel and HT angle)?

·
Registered
136 Posts
JohnBoyX6 said:
Thanks. I'm also about 210 geared, and have a 500# on my Romic. My compression adjuster has worked great, but I've dumped my oil twice now (after 8 months of use). So I need a backup. I'm going to try an RP3, but will likely get a DHX in the relatively near future. Did you consider the DHX in 7.875 x 2.25? Or just picked up the 7.875 x 2 to have a different setup (travel and HT angle)?
I picked it up for the different setup. The travel is now 5.3" and it lowers the bb by about 3/16". The rear travel decrease I have not noticed. The bike is amazing even with the Romic. This shock just gives it that extra edge. It just soaks up all the bumps and the rear stays glued to the ground. Even though it is slight, I do notice the lowered bb height. For me it is an advantage. I can still clear all obstacles, but i feel more in control in my maneuverability.

·
in the getto
175 Posts
The travel is now 5.3" and it lowers the bb by about 3/16".

Antman , what fork are you using with the 5.3" rear setup? And how would you say it handles for tight woods singetrack? I tested a standard 5" front and rear X-5 and thought it handled great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
toe-knee said:
The travel is now 5.3" and it lowers the bb by about 3/16".

Antman , what fork are you using with the 5.3" rear setup? And how would you say it handles for tight woods singetrack? I tested a standard 5" front and rear X-5 and thought it handled great.
I'm using the Marz Z1 FR SL. On real tight fast singletrack it handles great. Is it the fastest? No. I have another lighter FS bike that absolutely flies through the fast, tight singletrack. But when you get into the rough technical terrain where you need to clear obstacles or rock gardens this bike excels. With the 6" rockers and quad bearing upgrade this bike is stiff and with the DHX it is so plush and stays right on track.

·
Tame the Penguin!
1,082 Posts
No worky on large X5.

JohnBoyX6 said:
Any fit problems here? how about with the RP3?
I just tried a 7.875x2.25" DHX 5.0 on my semi-custom large X-5 w/6" rockers and it does not work. With the spring removed, under full compression, the shrader valve hits the down tube. I thought it might work on my frame since we had Sherwood build the front triangle with 1" of extra TT length, thus slightly reducing the downtube angle. However, it doesn't work. :(

I'm getting a Vanilla RC Push'd instead...... :D

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
El Beastro said:
I just tried a 7.875x2.25" DHX 5.0 on my semi-custom large X-5 w/6" rockers and it does not work. With the spring removed, under full compression, the shrader valve hits the down tube. I thought it might work on my frame since we had Sherwood build the front triangle with 1" of extra TT length, thus slightly reducing the downtube angle. However, it doesn't work. :(

I'm getting a Vanilla RC Push'd instead...... :D
......don't forget to leave the spring retainer clip on when measuring without the spring...it makes a big difference...:p

·
Tame the Penguin!
1,082 Posts
Fox DHX fitment

JohnBoyX6 said:
Any fit problems here? how about with the RP3?
I am assured by a trusted source that the 7.875x2.0" DHX 5.0 will work on large and XL X-5s without any guessing. This setup gives 5.4" of rear travel.

Wish I would have known that before I ordered my DHX, sold it, bought a used Vanilla RC, then sent it to Push. :rolleyes: Hmmm, maybe I should have just asked....douuugh! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.