Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I have a new shock for my 5-spot. At a target 450 grams (why so heavy?) but with user servicable main seals it will only save about 150 grams from my romic/titanium but it might be worth the $: i can certanly use more adjustability for my moody horst! :) and it looks like it has a pro-pedal dial on top like the great 20+ clicker of the romic

Attachments

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Davide said:
It looks like I have a new shock for my 5-spot. At a target 450 grams (why so heavy?) but with user servicable main seals it will only save about 150 grams from my romic/titanium but it might be worth the $: i can certanly use more adjustability for my moody horst! :) and it looks like it has a pro-pedal dial on top like the great 20+ clicker of the romic
heavy for an air shock because it's got the remote res and so on.....

heavy for an air shock because it's (supposedly) going to be the burliest air shock....

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
FoolCyclist said:
Anybody know if there is much difference in ride quality between the RP3 and the DHX air? If its about the same, then why not stick with the lighter RP3?
oil volume, resistance to fade on long downhill runs, ability to fine tune platform, etc....

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
one word

adjustability

FoolCyclist said:
Anybody know if there is much difference in ride quality between the RP3 and the DHX air? If its about the same, then why not stick with the lighter RP3?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rp3/pushed

FoolCyclist said:
a costum rp3/pushed is indeed a real contender, adjusted to rider weight and with more difference between the lever psitions it might be all one needs on a 5" bike (i still think the romic is nicer and more adjustable)

Still, i am convinced that the most important part of a frame is the shock, and when it come to suspension more adjustability is better. Since the weight dfference is sub-200 in respect to an rp3 and i gain more control on the platform and on the bottom resistence, which might mean a plusher ride and more resstence to botoming that is becoming an issue for me, i might end up with this baby, pricewise it might be cheaper than a rp3/pushed

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dstepper said:
Will it fit a 2003 Medium 5-spot without modification?
who knows, it might be more compact than the coil, it just needs a few millimiters more ... if not ... maybe drop the frame for a new one (blur lt? motolite?) ... :eek:

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
jp3d said:
Does anyone know how much freeride abuse the RP3 can take, and compared to the dhx air? Would either of these be a good upgrade to the Romic on my Azonic Saber?
id have to say yes. i had an old vanilla air shock, 2001 i believe, and did 6 foot drops to flat, tons of dj,and super scethchy downhill runs. and thats only a vanilla. so i am led to believe it will be pretty burly. i look at it kinda like the 36 in defying all that was established in the past. light, strong, and damn good looking.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
jp3d said:
Does anyone know how much freeride abuse the RP3 can take, and compared to the dhx air? Would either of these be a good upgrade to the Romic on my Azonic Saber?
I talked to turner today, and they were not recommending RP3s for the 6-pack, but they were saying that the DHX Air would be a very suitable shock. The thing is that on long downhills the RP3 will fade, it just doesn't have the oil volume like the DHX does. It also sounded like the RP3 was just a little too linear on that bike, they've increased the size of the air chambers over the year to make them less progressive, and turner said it would blow through the travel too fast without excessive pressure. I'd go with the DHX-air. It's still about a pound lighter than an equivalent coil DHX, and you get the benefits of the DHX in downhill-worthy-ness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.