Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone riding the DHX 5.0 without the bottom out adjuster knob? I remember a post where a Transition DirtBag rider had the same problem with the knob rubbing the frame. He removed it....and now I want to see if constant riding without the knob effected the shock in any way (e.g. loss of air pressure).

I plan on removing mine if I know there are no "side effects"

For the record, I'm riding a Gemini 900 with a 7.875 x2.25 with a 700# spring. It's the correct length, but the knob is bulky, and it brushes the frame on bigger hits.

Thanks for any comments and or pictures.
 

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
Joined
·
489 Posts
freeriderB said:
Anyone riding the DHX 5.0 without the bottom out adjuster knob? I remember a post where a Transition DirtBag rider had the same problem with the knob rubbing the frame. He removed it....and now I want to see if constant riding without the knob effected the shock in any way (e.g. loss of air pressure).

I plan on removing mine if I know there are no "side effects"

For the record, I'm riding a Gemini 900 with a 7.875 x2.25 with a 700# spring. It's the correct length, but the knob is bulky, and it brushes the frame on bigger hits.

Thanks for any comments and or pictures.
nothing happens when you take it off, its kinda like the preload knobs on an old z1. There are just two small allen screws that you loosen and remove it. just be sure to set it where you want it before removing, or simply re-install it to make adjustments. I carried the knob in my pack for a while till i had the shock dialed. Just be sure that you dont screw the adjuster in too far, which can happen if the 2 allen screws are not tightend down when making said adjustment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DHX 5.0 without bottom out knob

So performance has been fine?

I was hesitant because FOX told me not to do it. I'm sick of seeing the paint chip off my frame, so I'll test it out this weekend.

sortafast said:
nothing happens when you take it off, its kinda like the preload knobs on an old z1. There are just two small allen screws that you loosen and remove it. just be sure to set it where you want it before removing, or simply re-install it to make adjustments. I carried the knob in my pack for a while till i had the shock dialed. Just be sure that you dont screw the adjuster in too far, which can happen if the 2 allen screws are not tightend down when making said adjustment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
Ive had a DHX on a 5-spot for a good 6 months without knob. Its fine. There are no effects of running it off. Like the other guy said.. usse the knob to adjust, then remove. Also be aware that the valve stem moves in and out with the knob adjustment.On my 5-spot if i wanted no bottom out, the valve stem would hit my frame, but having it set to the middle, its perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Valve stem hitting

Thanks.
I took the knob off very easily. However, I'm paranoid that it may hit even without the knob! This would not be a good thing.

Check out the path of the frame scratch in this photo from a couple of months ago. It clearly shows a scratch that is further forward than the bottom out knobs reach. I did'nt notice any scratches on the valve stem though.

I think I may need an 800# spring (does FOX make them for the DHX 5.0)?

oly said:
Ive had a DHX on a 5-spot for a good 6 months without knob. Its fine. There are no effects of running it off. Like the other guy said.. usse the knob to adjust, then remove. Also be aware that the valve stem moves in and out with the knob adjustment.On my 5-spot if i wanted no bottom out, the valve stem would hit my frame, but having it set to the middle, its perfect.
 

Attachments

·
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
Joined
·
403 Posts
Just for the record, you're never going to find a spring that wholly prevents bottom-out, and all you're going to do is screw up the general suspension performance by running too high a spring rate.

What size Gemini is that, by the way?
 

·
Cynical Bystander
Joined
·
6,770 Posts
You could just take a file and file down the knob thing a bit, then remove the spring and compress the shock all the way and file off until it doesn't hit anymore...
 

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
Joined
·
489 Posts
freeriderB said:
Thanks.
I took the knob off very easily. However, I'm paranoid that it may hit even without the knob! This would not be a good thing.

Check out the path of the frame scratch in this photo from a couple of months ago. It clearly shows a scratch that is further forward than the bottom out knobs reach. I did'nt notice any scratches on the valve stem though.

I think I may need an 800# spring (does FOX make them for the DHX 5.0)?
I had to get a 800 pounder for my transition to keep it from bottoming horribly in 7" mode. But i mostly run it like a super stiff 6" and like it a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
freeriderB said:
Thanks.
I took the knob off very easily. However, I'm paranoid that it may hit even without the knob! This would not be a good thing.

Check out the path of the frame scratch in this photo from a couple of months ago. It clearly shows a scratch that is further forward than the bottom out knobs reach. I did'nt notice any scratches on the valve stem though.

I think I may need an 800# spring (does FOX make them for the DHX 5.0)?
u could take one of those saxaphone mouth piece pads and put it where the reservoir would hit..............would this work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
Chikity China said:
u could take one of those saxaphone mouth piece pads and put it where the reservoir would hit..............would this work?
think about it, it hits because there is zero space between it and the frame. Now think what would happen if you tried to stuff something between no available space...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
zedro said:
think about it, it hits because there is zero space between it and the frame. Now think what would happen if you tried to stuff something between no available space...
yea well..............wutever man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
spring

a heavier spring will have a wider diameter and get even closer to the frame.. i'd try to run a size down on the spring if possible, that might get you just enough clearance. drop 15 lbs and you're good to go. that's all i needed to fix my bottoming out problem - lose a little gut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lose the Gut??

No gut here at all (although I do weigh in at 195).....
I wish it was that simple.
It appears that this shock was not meant to be used on a Gemini. Even though both Fox and C-dale said "if it's 7.875x2.25 it should fit"
yeah...it bolts on to the frame ok....but....

I'm going to take the knob off, take the coil off, then cycle it through the travel to see if there is any remote possibility of it hitting.

If not....the knob will remain off forever!

Thanks for the input

cheapfreerider said:
a heavier spring will have a wider diameter and get even closer to the frame.. i'd try to run a size down on the spring if possible, that might get you just enough clearance. drop 15 lbs and you're good to go. that's all i needed to fix my bottoming out problem - lose a little gut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
The Kadvang said:
I hate kids: Mr. Chinkty it is a stupid idea because there is already no clearance, you would just be making less clearance. Go back to jacking off or whatever you teens do :rolleyes:
i geuss this makes u mature huh? :rolleyes:

i know it was a bad idea, i take it back

so dont be a [email protected] bout it :rolleyes:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top