Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about having my next shock push'ed, now I even got more info on the new frame I ordered which now leads me to a tough decision:

My new frame comes with a DHX Air 5.0, which normally is a pretty good shock. I do have the DHX 5.0 coil from my former frame, plus a half year old Float RP23.
All three shocks are the same size.
On my old frame, I chose the RP23 and preferred it over the DHX coil as it was much lighter, had a nicer range of setup choices and the ProPedal worked much better.
Now on the new bike, everything gets shuffled around again, even more as the guys from Push might do some magic to tweak each of the shocks towards something which suits me perfectly.

Now, the main question is: Are there any advantages on the DHX series, like say in "hardware", that might make them preferrable to the Float shock? Anything that can't be done with a customer specific setup?

Taking the factory setup as a basis, it looks like this (to me):

Float:

+ weight
+ range of rebound setup
+ range of PP setup
+ PP performance
+ PP on/off switch

DHX:

+ piggy back (in theory, as damper performance should last longer on long DH runs)
+ bottom out adjust
+ adjustable progression
- weight
- range of rebound setup
- range of PP setup

So, what do you think? Anything specific that'd make the DHX preferrable? Or would an customer specific RP23 do at least as well, as many of the options aren't needed then any more?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@keen: Oh, you're right. I oversaw that the DHX modification was for the coil model only.

The coil would work nice, of course, but it's like 3 times the weight of the RP23. And honestly, I see more of a performance difference when the bike is standing than on the trail... like the bike doesn't bounce off the ground when you let it fall from like 1ft. or so with the coil as it does with the air shock.
Of course the coil is more sensitive, but I don't feel too much of that when I'm on the trail riding.

@crisillo: I really failed to notice this before. So you'd say that a push'ed RP23 might feel nicer than a DHX air "standard"? Taking the PP options aside, so just "free roam" performance :D

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Radical_53 said:
@keen: Oh, you're right. I oversaw that the DHX modification was for the coil model only.

The coil would work nice, of course, but it's like 3 times the weight of the RP23. And honestly, I see more of a performance difference when the bike is standing than on the trail... like the bike doesn't bounce off the ground when you let it fall from like 1ft. or so with the coil as it does with the air shock.
Of course the coil is more sensitive, but I don't feel too much of that when I'm on the trail riding.

@crisillo: I really failed to notice this before. So you'd say that a push'ed RP23 might feel nicer than a DHX air "standard"? Taking the PP options aside, so just "free roam" performance :D
Why do things always have to be so complicated!!:D Its a good problem to have though.:thumbsup:

As to which one you should Push. Well, I guess that depends on how sensitive you are to the added weight of the DHX coil. You could always get a Ti spring to lose a half of a pound or so.;) People have had great experiences with both shocks from Push. Depending on your riding style and bike config., I would imagine you will be happy with either one.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Radical_53 said:

As be350ka said... it really depends on your riding style.... I run a stock RP23 on my ride and love its performance... I suppose the pushed version can only be sweeter....... but it really depends on how important weight and adjustability is to you... the DHX has more things to adjust, and the RP23 is "simpler" in that regard....

why don't you do a "stock comparison" first and decide which you like best.. and go from there... seems like you have "BIG" problems ;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it's a stupid question, a "luxury problem" somehow... but hey, I was just curious :)

@be350ka: I do have a Ti spring for the coil, yet only one (which was a little too soft on my old bike). If that's added, the DHX coil is "only" double the weight of the RP23 :D
Yet one problem with the coil was to get those springs. You can get some for cheap, but not on a regular basis and sometimes of very poor quality. Then there are very expensive ones, which do have a better quality but are extremely expensive.. and relatively heavy, compared to the cheaper ones. So that's a lot of money and added weight for slightly better response ;)
Also, the Ti spring problem was how I came to try the RP23 shock, as I always hated air shocks. Bought it, tried it, liked it ;) It's not as responsive for sure, but still quite plush and much easier to set up through pressure. Also I loved that on/off switch for the PP setting.

@crisillo: Will do. But, I was just curious if there's something about the shock, apart from setup and options, the DHX has which can't be found, no matter what is done to it, on the Float shock. Like the nitrogen reservoir for example.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Radical_53 said:
@crisillo: Will do. But, I was just curious if there's something about the shock, apart from setup and options, the DHX has which can't be found, no matter what is done to it, on the Float shock. Like the nitrogen reservoir for example.
:thumbsup:

The clearest one, I see, is the bottom out resistance, but you already know that, since you said on your original post ;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot ;) I just needed some clarification on that one :) I'm a little technophile here and there, so sometimes "knowing it's there" is a plus compared to just feeling something.
I never had any problems with less dampening after a long run on the RP23, so the reservoir seems to be something I don't necessarily need.
I was just curious if there's some huge difference of how these shocks are built internally, otherwise I can't explain why Push doesn't offer an upgrade for the DHX air for example.

I'll do a 1:1 comparison as soon as I get my new ride then. Maybe I can find something on one shock that might be implemented on the other :)

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Based on my experience, the DHX coil needs more tuning in regard to basic trail riding than the RP23 does, so it depends on your intent I think, with each of those shocks.

If you plan on doing basic trail/AM type riding and want better performance out of one of those shock options, I think the DHX needs it most. The RP23 is designed for that type of riding so excels there. The DHX will, however, be good for big hit/DH riding as it is (though I think it can benefit from better high speed performance).

The RP23 has it's problems too, IMO, in that it's fast, DH performance is a bit "harsh" so if you want better DH performance out of your shock options, Push the RP.

Horses for courses...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@be350: Well, I love titanium and I always preferred coil shocks. So back when I bought the DHX, I got a Ti spring with it right away :)
I'll let you know as soon as I get my stuff together. I'm still waiting for some parts, but especially for nice weather. Be it snow or spring time sun :D

@chad: Thanks for the opinion! Most of my riding is basic trail riding, just what I got to know was "mountain biking" when I started :D That's where I preferred, so far, the RP23 over the DHX coil, as with PP on it was like a comfortable hard tail feel. The DHX was somewhat smoother on descents, yes, but for the price of bobbing when riding up hill. Its PP is by far not as strong and also I always had it on one of the weaker settings to get some nice downhill performance.
I don't do any big jump things, the only thing I want is a shock that can pedal well but still does perform and keep a plush feel on the descents. Why else would I want to carry around 6" of travel? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.