Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Got Twins?
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We built up our Ventana and am thinking of going with 5" rockers and maybe putting on a Fox DHX 5.0 Air shock. We're running a 66 ata on the front. Haven't played with the travel adjust yet, second ride will be this weekend. The shop has a call in to Ventana, but they are on vacation and hope to hear from them next week. Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has tried it yet. Pro - Con.

Thanks,
L8

·
MTB Tandem Nut
727 Posts
We've put a couple of the DHX shocks on ECDM's. The shock allows for more plushness and tuneability without the steep spring rate ramp-up of the RP23's. As a result, the DHX also allows the bike to wallow more under heavy pedaling, since there's not an effective pedaling platform built in.
If you want the feeling of bottomless travel, it's probably a good choice, and will better match the 66 up front. If you do a lot of fire-road climbs and such, it may not be the best solution.
Just my .02

·
Long Live Long Rides
397 Posts
We have been running the ever-popular RP23 on our 4" El Conq. Here's a couple of things: I find the steep progressive rate of Ventanas keeps me from using anywhere near full travel on a single bike. This is a bit better on tandem, but to get full travel we still have to run it pretty soft. Second, my team is a pretty smooth pedaling team but we still get WAY more bob on a tandem than on singles. We don't really like the small bump loss that comes with a heavy Propedal setting, so we try to ignore it until I suck it up to send it to PUSH. I've also been playing with the idea of a HV can on the RP23, or using a HV Float R ($75 at the Santa Cruz website clearance section!)

My biggest worry about the DHX would be the amount of bob you would get. Of course it all depends on style/terrain/etc.

Best Idea: try it and let us know how it works! (Then I can get one...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.