Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y'all think of this....
So my 3 way swinger

is leakin air (could be an easy fix) but I will probably end up getting it fixed and selling it to get the proceeds to go toward one of these.........:thumbsup:

Fox DHX Coil

What do you guys think of the DHX?
I love Fox shox and only got the 3way as it came with my Titus.

I'm 6'6" 260+ in gear, riding an '05 Titus Super Moto. ('07 pictured below)

Being my size I like the bottom out protection and the fact that if it goes on the fritz I can still at least finish the ride to some degree.;)

I've had to bail on my last 2 rides b/c of the swinger. AUGH! :madman:

Any suggestions?

What's the difference between the VAN and the DHX besides $150 and a few tweaks?

I'm all about buying the right and most sturdy parts I can if/when it comes time to replace.

Still lovin my DT 5.1d rims, btw. They rock.

My Hadley FR rear hub just barfed, but luckily is still under warranty.

I'll be saving up for the DHX or the like for my birthday or father's day or..... :)

Chime in please

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've owned both, and the DHX is approximately 10000000000000000 times better. The Swingers feel dead and the Foxes feel lively. The adjustments are really useful - I've got mine on minimum propedal and max bottom-out resistance, big difference from stock. The DHX has a much thicker shaft than the Van, so it's much more reliable.

On the Hadley, see if you can get the 36pt engagement - totally bombproof, it's what comes on the best DH bikes.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
watermoccasin said:
I've owned both, and the DHX is approximately 10000000000000000 times better. The Swingers feel dead and the Foxes feel lively. The adjustments are really useful - I've got mine on minimum propedal and max bottom-out resistance, big difference from stock. The DHX has a much thicker shaft than the Van, so it's much more reliable.

On the Hadley, see if you can get the 36pt engagement - totally bombproof, it's what comes on the best DH bikes.
you will have a plusher ride with a coil shock...it is a shame that most bikes are made for people in the under 190 club

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I got the DHX 5.0

Can you say HEAVY!!!

that added 4 lbs to my bike. :eek:
Now my steed clocks in at 36.5 lbs.

Got the 600 lb spring rate coil. Hoping to downgrade to 550 if/when I lose 20 lbs!

I've really gotta shed some weight now.
Easier and cheaper to lose it off the "engine", the the bike!

I rode it around the parking lot, off some curbs, etc. Definitely a different feel. Not as supple (sp?) as an air shock, but no way in hell am I ever going to bottom this sucker out.

Feels like a TANK! Man is it solid! :thumbsup:

Climbing with the extra weight is gonna suck!! But the downhill part should be fun.....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hopefully I'll get to ride this weekend!
over a month off the bike, makes Erik a dull boy!

need to save up for a new front shock and wheel, supposedly. Now I'm 5" of travel in the front and 7" in the back.

stay tuned. I'll post up after a few rides and I get used to the coil.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
eokerholm said:
Can you say HEAVY!!!

that added 4 lbs to my bike. :eek:
Now my steed clocks in at 36.5 lbs.

Got the 600 lb spring rate coil. Hoping to downgrade to 550 if/when I lose 20 lbs!
get a ti spring...take off at least a pound

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Depends on your bike, riding style and weight. For a Clyde, the DHX is by far the better shock in most circumstances.

I've got a 3-way, but I've also go a fairly low leverage SP bike with cross country leanings. Even though I'm 240#, I can get away with it because I've got a low leverage ratio (heck, I'm only running 160# of air in the can right now (rated for 300#). For your bike and size, I'd say the DHX was definitely the better option.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
eokerholm said:
that added 4 lbs to my bike.

Not as supple (sp?) as an air shock, but no way in hell am I ever going to bottom this sucker out.
I thought my DHX was around 800 grams with spring, a little under 2 pounds. There's a DHX on WeightWeenies listed at 795 grams with spring ...?

I find the DHX much more supple than an air shock, especially a Swinger. You should be able to tune it, or it might just be new-seal-stiction that will disappear as the shock breaks in. For optimum performance, you want 25% sag with minimal preload (1-2 turns) on a Fox shock. Also try turning down the ProPedal to increase small bump sensitivity. If you're never bottoming, you can decrease the air pressure and/or increase the volume to make the shock plusher. Getting the rebound set properly also increases plushness - too fast and it feels bouncy, too slow and it feels harsh.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
watermoccasin said:
I thought my DHX was around 800 grams with spring, a little under 2 pounds. There's a DHX on WeightWeenies listed at 795 grams with spring ...?

I find the DHX much more supple than an air shock, especially a Swinger. You should be able to tune it, or it might just be new-seal-stiction that will disappear as the shock breaks in. For optimum performance, you want 25% sag with minimal preload (1-2 turns) on a Fox shock. Also try turning down the ProPedal to increase small bump sensitivity. If you're never bottoming, you can decrease the air pressure and/or increase the volume to make the shock plusher. Getting the rebound set properly also increases plushness - too fast and it feels bouncy, too slow and it feels harsh.
yep, maybe my bike was 32 lbs before and now is 34.5....hmmmmm

3 rides in and it seems to be getting better.

I'll need to mess around with it to get it dialed in, but I like it. :thumbsup: Thanks for the tips.
Checked the sag at the shop and we're good there.
Need to play with the other settings.
Came with 100 psi from the factory.
Min is 50, max is 125 I think.

Talk about feeling SOILD.
FYI, I can do wheelies better now too! haha!

2 thumbs up!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.