Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My SC Bullit currently has a 450 x 2.8 spring but according to SC's website, I need a 550x2.8 spring for my weight (around 220 lbs. with gear).

Anyway, my local bike shop found me a spring but it is a 650 x 2.3. My question is will it fit? And if it does, is it safe to use on my shock body?

Thanks.

A

BTW, in from the Philippines so specific bike parts are kinda hard to come by.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From SC's website...

What size shock does the Bullit use?

8.5” x 2.5” (216x 63mm)
The mounting hardware is 22mm wide with an 8mm through hole.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
That spring won't fit. It is too short plus it's 100 lbs too heavy. You have to get a spring that will compress at least 2.5" otherwise it will bind and probably ruin your shock.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ScottW said:
You have to get a spring that will compress at least 2.5" otherwise it will bind and probably ruin your shock.
EDIT I see what you meant now .. right..at least 2.5" before binding....

IIRC, in Fox springs the second number is the "binding travel", that's why the springs for 2.5" stroke shocks say 2.8" (all other brands use the expected travel--2.5"--- as the 2nd number)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crisillo said:
EDIT I see what you meant now .. right..at least 2.5" before binding....

IIRC, in Fox springs the second number is the "binding travel", that's why the springs for 2.5" stroke shocks say 2.8" (all other brands use the expected travel--2.5"--- as the 2nd number)
Someone is offering to sell me a brand new Ti RCS Spring 550 x 2.5. So will this fit my DHX shock even though the original spring is a 450 x 2.8 (the 550 vs 450 I understand, its the 2.5 vs 2.8 that gets me confused:madman: ).

Sorry if this seems like a newb question but I just want to make sure I get the right one as the Ti spring is quite expensive.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
AllanRR said:
Someone is offering to sell me a brand new Ti RCS Spring 550 x 2.5. So will this fit my DHX shock even though the original spring is a 450 x 2.8 (the 550 vs 450 I understand, its the 2.5 vs 2.8 that gets me confused:madman: ).

Sorry if this seems like a newb question but I just want to make sure I get the right one as the Ti spring is quite expensive.

Thanks again.
yeah.. the RCS should fit, since your shock has a 2.5" stroke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.