Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continued saga for my Gemini.....

Ok, I took the Bottom out adjuster knob off, took the spring off and reinstalled the shock on the bike. Then I pushed the seat down until the shock was done with its travel cycle.

The good news is that the reservoir DOES NOT TOUCH THE FRAME. It comes real close...but it does not hit like it did with the adjuster knob still attached.

So...

Is this the "end all" test? Should I conduct any other tests before I trust that the reservoir won't smash into my frame?

Or am I safe knowing it is IMPOSSIBLE since the travel test with the coil removed saw it stop just short?

I know it's a stupid question....but I do not want to risk ruining my 4 month old shock.

Thanks in advance...

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
One caveat.

freeriderB said:
Continued saga for my Gemini.....

Ok, I took the Bottom out adjuster knob off, took the spring off and reinstalled the shock on the bike. Then I pushed the seat down until the shock was done with its travel cycle.

The good news is that the reservoir DOES NOT TOUCH THE FRAME. It comes real close...but it does not hit like it did with the adjuster knob still attached.

So...

Is this the "end all" test? Should I conduct any other tests before I trust that the reservoir won't smash into my frame?

Or am I safe knowing it is IMPOSSIBLE since the travel test with the coil removed saw it stop just short?

I know it's a stupid question....but I do not want to risk ruining my 4 month old shock.

Thanks in advance...
Depends on where that closest potential contact spot is. I have seen some shocks not have any contact during an unsprung cycle test, but have a little bit of flex in the frame or linkage which resulted in a slight contact when the bike was actually ridden in an aggressive manner. So if the spot where your shock is close to the frame is one of those areas that may actually get closer during some frame flex, then you may need more room. Obviously it's hard to tell over the internet..

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
well, if the bottom out bumper was fully compressed and theres at least a couple of mm's i think you'll be fine. If you're still concerned, you could shim the shaft (like adding to the bumper).

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shim the shaft?

So you mean like adding an additional bottom out bumper?
What would this do to the travel?

...and would I actually use another bumper? or some other material?

Thanks for the help.

zedro said:
well, if the bottom out bumper was fully compressed and theres at least a couple of mm's i think you'll be fine. If you're still concerned, you could shim the shaft (like adding to the bumper).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
freeriderB said:
So you mean like adding an additional bottom out bumper?
What would this do to the travel?

...and would I actually use another bumper? or some other material?

Thanks for the help.
like take a 1/16" thick nylon washer, slot it (just smaller than the shaft size), and slide it under the bumper. That way you wont get full bottomout

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damage done because of bottom out knob?

Thought I saw a small drop of oil around the thread just behind the air cap. This is the section that the bottom out knob slides over.

It was dry this morning, but I want to ride around a little tonight to see if it appears again.

I'm hoping it was just left over lube from FOX when they re-installed the bottom out knob during a recent tune up.

If not, it means that the slight "brushing" of the knob against the frame actually caused some damage.

I'm crossing my fingers......and the knob is off for good.

Chikity China said:
this just makes me wanna get the remote resi version

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.