Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,227 Posts
Yeah...got one.

I have an '03 Bullit...identical to your frame. I've been running a DHXA on it for at least 2 years. It works OK. The shock sucked on my Nomad but is decent for a trail Bullit. If your riding will approach really aggressive AM or light FR, this shock is not a good choice. You'd have to pump it up in the main and piggyback chambers to stop excessive bottoming which makes any small bump compliance quite harsh. Even for plain trail use, I have the piggyback volume shut all the way down to prevent the travel o-ring indicator from being knocked off the shock shaft all the time. Installing the smaller air can will help this, but this shock seems to always be compromise with the existing damping design. I also have a '99 Bullit with a Manitou 4-Way rear shock, and it is an excellent match to the long travel, high forward, single pivot. SPV damper design really works well with a bike like this.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks TNC, that was really usefull...

but what you think about the 09´dhx air model, that has the half turn pro-pedal, and if i´m gonna hit a drop i could easily turn up, or down if i´m just pedalling around... maybe i could find a pressure that suits my riding, a compromise between AM/FR, and then according to what i´m gonna find ahead switch the pro pedal?

by the way, whats your weight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
I have to agree with TNC.
I also had a 06 DHX 5.0 Air on my 05 Bullit and absolutely hated it.
It would wallow in it's midstroke and bottom excessively.
The SPV Swingers perform much better. It's a great choice for a Do It All Bullit.

I also have a non piggyback Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 for my Bullit.
IMO That also outperforms the DHX Air.
It will bottom with the damping in the wide open position, but flip the Floodgate lever and it's fine for All Mountain usage.
Also the midstroke damping is much better than the DHX Air.

Out of the two I prefer the Swinger because of the ability to tune the volume for added bottom out protection for more aggressive riding.

That said, I have not tried the 09 DHX.
I weigh about 180 with gear.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,227 Posts
luisberi said:
thanks TNC, that was really usefull...

but what you think about the 09´dhx air model, that has the half turn pro-pedal, and if i´m gonna hit a drop i could easily turn up, or down if i´m just pedalling around... maybe i could find a pressure that suits my riding, a compromise between AM/FR, and then according to what i´m gonna find ahead switch the pro pedal?

by the way, whats your weight?
luis, if the '09 has the smaller can, it will probably be a little better. Still, it only moves the soft spot around some, but it will probably help with easy a bottomout if you run the right main chamber pressure and piggyback setup. Frequently having to reach down and fiddle with the Propedal lever is a PITA IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks to both of you... probably i would buy a dhx 5.0 if wasnt you...

i think i would stick to manitou swinger air 4x, or maybe the Manitou Evolver ISX-6 2008???

thanks and... santacruz rules!
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,227 Posts
Evolver

luisberi said:
thanks to both of you... probably i would buy a dhx 5.0 if wasnt you...

i think i would stick to manitou swinger air 4x, or maybe the Manitou Evolver ISX-6 2008???

thanks and... santacruz rules!
I wasn't even going to go there to avoid the appearance of being a Manitou schill, but since you brought it up, my take is that the ISX-6 is probably the best long travel air shock made right now. Especially for a Bullit, I would also consider the X4, which is really just a newer generation 4-Way Air. The Bullit works extremely well with Maintiou's SPV rear shock. They worked well with the old 5th E coil, but the damping was a bit heavy. Manitou has better damping to work with the SPV IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats right, it really works well with the 5th E coil, no pedal bob for AM, but i´m really thinking of buying a Swinger 4x air, or to improve the damping of my 5th and to make it lighter buying a titanium spring... also its a lot cheaper than a new shock...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
TNC said:
I wasn't even going to go there to avoid the appearance of being a Manitou schill, but since you brought it up, my take is that the ISX-6 is probably the best long travel air shock made right now.
TNC I've been waiting for this....:D

I just put my 5th back on for the winter last week.(less wear and tear on my newer shocks)
I forgot just how well the 5th works on the Bullit. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top