Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in the Clydesdale forum but got no responses. I weigh about 275, I have a Rocky Mountain Flatline with a Marzzocchi Roco TST rear shock, equipped with a 500lb spring. Last fall was my first experience riding a gravity bike, and I realized I'm a lot more into the bike park features, drops, etc. than rallying "downhill" trails through the woods. I've found myself bashing my size-14 shoes into the ground on even medium-sized landings and would like to stiffen the rear up a bit. Looks like the stiffest spring available from Marz is a 550, and it doesn't seem like 10% would make a huge difference. I'm thinking I want at least a 600lb spring for a 20% increase in stiffness compared to how it feels right now.

I've heard that the spring manufacturer doesn't matter as long as the shock stroke and eye-to-eye match up, any truth to this? Fox and some other companies seem to make stiffer springs than Marz. Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to Go-Ride (local shop specializing in gravity bikes) and they told me Fox springs use a different internal diameter than Marz does, and it wouldn't work. They did tell me that a Manitou spring should work, but I found another shop online that sold Manitou springs but also said they would be too short to fit in a Marz Roco shock. I'm getting a ton of conflicting information. Am I just going to be stuck buying a Fox rear shock since they offer springs for dudes my size?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bit of an old thread but anyways: does DVO coil spring work with Fox (DHX)? I found webshop which claims that it does but does anyone have real life experience?
Edit: got the response elsewhere, DVO & Cane Creek fit to Fox

1 - 4 of 4 Posts