Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's exactly why I didn't buy the '07 frame. Fox has been in the suspension manufacturing biz a lot longer than Specialized has.

Although though they got Mike McAndrews, who's apparently their suspension wonderboy, I thought I'd give them a few years to get their **** figured out, since I remember when Specialized tried this back in the early 90's, and was ultimately abandoned. Only time will tell if this go 'round will fare better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
From what I've read, niewczas, the difference in terms of performance is how smooth the transition is from on to off for the platform. I can confirm that on the 07 AFR you can't feel it turning on and off, and the bike climbs wonderfully. Apparently on the Brain there is a very noticable step and then time delayed turn off. That's what I've read, anyway.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've heard the same thing. But on my expert, it def. doesn't feel like an on/off feeling. I dunno, maybe cause this is my full sus and I'm not used to bobbing/fully open. Maybe if I let more air pressure out, I would feel it more. But, I think it's like XT vs XTR derailluers, without the weight factor. It probably does shift smoother, but if both are serviced by the head Santa Cruz Sindicate mechanic, I'm sure it wouldn't be that much of a dif....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Movemint said:
Specialized doesn't sell the brain as an after market upgrade. you could always to the frame trade in to get a huge discount on a new, Brain equipted bike frame.
(bump)

Spec sells the fox shock as after market, the AFR is not available.

I'm upgrading my '05 pro to the fox brain. It takes a new seatstay as well. Not cheap, but cheaper than a complete new frame.

·
Registered
39 Posts
afr vs fox brain fade rear shock

To add to this thread for future reference...

First off the the 06 fox brain has 1/4" less stroke than the 07 afr shock on the stumpy.

I would say the newer shocks have more on /off than the old ones because they work better. The afr shock feels more crisp. They are lighter and more sensitive. the o6 brain is a bit sluggish in comparison(bob), but still works well. I ride both brains on full firm settings, seems like the AFR has less pedal/shock affect(bob) than the 06.

Both of the brain models seem to make the bike more pedal effiecient than my buddies Blur LT with rp23 propedal.

So I guess I am for the brain although I am really begining to be turned off by Specialized corporate tactics....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anybody know if the AFR shock is interchangeable with a Fox one on a S-Works Epic 2007? I've heard that Spec slightly changed the attachment of the shock on the 2007 frames.
AFR is great but I'm still concerned about reliability (mine also has been changed once), and a backup would be good in the race season.

·
Registered
1 Posts
z71 said:
Both Brains with different valving. Fox came out with it first and then Specialized wanted in on the deal I guess and changed it a little.
correction!
Fox never came up with the Brain. Specialized used a Fox shock but the Brain was always theirs and only ever theirs.
They have now moved to using their own shock (with different valving tech) instead of using the Fox fork.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.