Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my question to you is this. i am building up a vp free and i want it to be pedalable while also being huckable. i was planing on getting a 05 sherman slider (possible 04 super t) because my shop has that fork stocked w/ the bike for cheap. ive never been a huge manitou even though i do love how well the sldier pedals. if i do decide to get a fox 40, it will be at least an x-tra 400 or a bit more. will i regret getting this? will it beable to pedal? will the new rc2's beable to have travel reduction (u-turn)?

-stevo

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
888?

What happened to the 888 idea? By the way, Risse crowns are on mine and they work very well.
And when are you getting this bike?

·
Sedona, Az USA
1,036 Posts
the travel is easily changed. you dont have to remove the fork or anything. just pop off the top cap and swap some spacers.

I find the fork to be very FR friendly. I wouldn't even get the RC2 model. I have the R model and love the hell out of it.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
yeah it is way more pedalable than those other forks. Its super light, rigid, and stock damping is resistant to bob while maintaining its crazy plushness.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
R Model

I remember talking to one of the guys at Diablo with the R Model. Said he loved it even though it was the less expensive one.
Dude, order that bike.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i've got the sherman slider on my vp-free and its decent. I havent done any serious mtn riding with it yet so i cant offer much feedback. The fox 40 is a lot of money new or used. I'd go with an 888 203mm and use the money you save to buy some quality parts.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
j6105 , you said the 40 pedalled better than the sherman, right? even though this sherman has spv? wow!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
sreiman said:
j6105 , you said the 40 pedalled better than the sherman, right? even though this sherman has spv? wow!
i would agree. I had a SPV fork for a year. when a switched back to a normal fork I didn't miss it.

my hair brain idea;
is that huck bikes have the slack head tube angle which reduces the amount of fork bob you'll notice while riding. XC bike for instance, the fork is more verticle ( steeper HA). your wieght tranfer during climbing pushes more straight down on the fork. the fork needs to be sprung stiffer or have SPV to reduce the effect.

but you have the inverse of that idea when applied to brake dive.

my opinion, SPV does not belong on a DH bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.