Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I have an 08 Fox 40 that I got used and it was working perfect and it seems like after my last ride, which was fast down a very rattely trail that always seems to throw my whole bike out of adjustment because everything vibrates loose. Anyway, I took it home and rode around the house to make sure everything worked and I noticed there was a clicky noise when I compressed the fork. At first I thought it was something to do with the cabeling that something came loose out on the ride so I looked over and everything looked normal, so I kept on riding and it wouldn't stop so i took it to my garage and tightened the axle bolt, the head set and the triple clamps and then I compressed the fork and it wasn't making noise, then i rode more and it came back. I have been riding it since and I noticed the clicking noise is off and on, infact, I still am not positive it is coming from the fork I am just asking if anyone has heard of this so i can find out if this noise is coming from the fork for sure. It doesn't seem to change how it works it's just annoying, especially because it will go away and then come back. I haven't noticed any patterns as to when it makes the noise and when it doesn't. It likes makes a click when it passes about the 60mm travel mark and then again when it rebounds around the 60mm travel mark, kind of like a clicker.

Thanks for the help. I hope I don't have to replace the internals. I have bottomed the fork once and it was after the clicking noise started. Oh and I did the seal cleaning procedure and maybe i messed up?

·
Huckin' trails
6,056 Posts
From my experience with coil fork, this noise can be created by the spring collapsing on one side when it compress. I have a Dart 2 fork and I get that clicking sound at about 40mm of travel going down, them again when coming back (80mm travel fork).

Check if the spacers for the springs are well align and not damaged.

Just a shot in the dark. I'm not a fork expert. I also have a Judy Race Hydracoil 100mm and use the same coil spacer system as my Dart and it doesn't make any noise at all. Maybe your low on oil too ?

David

·
Registered
1 Posts
cheers guys, had the same problem with the clicking. Took the spring out and twisted the shrink wrap back up about half way and the clink noise turned to a little tut here and there but drastically improved. Maybe some fork butter would help too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts